Religion and government must not mix in America, experts say

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 08:36 am
As we are able to see what happens when religious groups fight each other now and through the centuries, it confirms my opinion that the creation of religions was and is the most destructive invention on our planet. ---BBB

November 8, 2011
Religion and government must not mix in America, experts say
By Shahid Ali Panhwer and Maha Mussadaq | McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — The separation of church and state in American public life is essential to ensure that U.S. citizens retain their civil liberties and that the nation retains its exceptionalism in the world, a group of experts told a forum Tuesday at the National Press Club.

As the 2012 election season heats up, the experts voiced concern over the view held by some that the First Amendment to the Constitution, which guarantees freedom of religion, allows religion to be mixed with governance, which they said is incorrect. They said that American exceptionalism stems in no small part from religious liberty.

John Ragosta, author of "Wellspring of Liberty: How Virginia's Religious Dissenters Helped to Win the American Revolution & Secured Religious Liberty," said that if the U.S. was categorically a Christian nation, then it would not have gotten the support that it has from people of other religious faiths. While Americans are more religious than the people of any other developed country, he said, religion must remain separate from secular government in the United States.

Jamie Raskin, director of the Law and Government Program at American University's School of Law and also a Maryland state senator, noted that the Constitution allows people to follow whichever religion they desire, but that government should make its decisions based on logic and science.

"One must be neutral and not be classified as Christian, Muslim or Jew," he said. He noted that it may be accurate to label America a Christian nation in a demographic sense, but such a definition extended to constitutional law would destroy secular traditions developed over 200 years.

John Kinney, dean of the Samuel DeWitt Proctor School of Theology at Virginia Union University and pastor of the Ebenezer Baptist Church in Beaverdam, Va., said that people today are using God to push their political and social agendas.

"When we are dragging religion into politics, then we are not searching for truth, but we do it to support our agenda in order to preserve our position, so the necessity for separation of church and state is essential" he said.

(Mussadaq is a reporter at The Express Tribune Islamabad, and Panhwer is a reporter/editor at Associated Press of Pakistan Hyderabad, Pakistan. They are reporting for The McClatchy Washington Bureau in partnership with the International Center for Journalists. The program is funded by the U.S. State Department.)

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/11/08/129705/religion-and-government-must-not.html#storylink=omni_popular#ixzz1dDcxWTBv
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,279 • Replies: 4
No top replies

wayne

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2011 08:50 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Agreed
tyler89

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 09:47 am
@wayne,
intersting read. Agree to the major points as well.

I hit the wrong reply button, but I mean the origional post
0 Replies

Bootlace

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2012 12:40 pm
Religion and governments shouldn't mix but I question the motive of the authors. If you remove the Christian religion from your government it then leaves a void which can be exploited for instance, by Islam.
It wouldn't surprise me if this was the motive all along.
Islam and Sharia are out to rule the world, they will tell you this.
Be warned.
dap0515

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2012 09:47 am
@Bootlace,
Sharia law will never gain footing in America, except perhaps for Muslims within the narrow context of family law. The violent components of Sharia violate many of our current laws and Constitutional amendments.

I don't think Christianity will ever be expunged from American government from an electoral perspective. Republicans know that they can only win their party's nomination by cobbling together a coalition that includes Evangelicals. Often Republican candidates will make all kinds of promises on social issues that will never be kept, especially if the nominee comes from the pro-business fiscal conservative wing of the party, which tends to produce most nominees at the national level. I can't even remember the last time a social conservative won the Republican nomination for president. Has it ever happened? Alf Landon in 1936 would be the closest.

Having traveled through all of the 48 continental states, I can say that the vast majority of this country remains fervently Christian. Religiosity is weaker in the northeast and urban sections of the upper midwest and west coast, but quite potent everywhere else. When you drive across the country, there are long stretches of time where a majority of stations will be Christian radio. I believe that to be a reflection on demographics and demand.
0 Replies