Why do some people feel the need to push their beliefs onto others?

Rockhead

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 01:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
no dave.

homeless people use that stuff to start their fires to stay warm and cook.

you did a good thing...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 01:32 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
no dave.

homeless people use that stuff to start their fires to stay warm and cook.

you did a good thing...
Well, I considered distributing it in the open streets (like the guy in the subway), but costing $.5O each,
I chose to leave them indoors, in better venues (especially in gunstores).

When I saw cars with pro-freedom bumper stickers,
I threw one inside, or under the windshield wiper.

David
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 01:39 pm
@RexDraconis111,
RexDraconis111 wrote:
For some religions it's actually a requirement of their belief (evangelical Christians). I believe Southern Baptists are expected to be evangelical.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 01:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

How about yelling in the street ?
or distributing propaganda (handbills, flyers) ?

Uhh....No!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 01:51 pm
Quote:
Some people have done it as a means of fighting back against (allegedly) perceived abuses against them.
By that means, thay have requested public support for their respective philosophical positions, e.g., the labor movement,
the pro-nazi & the anti-nazi movements, the anti-commie & pro-commie movements, the pro-abortion
and the anti-abortion movements, the pro-war & anti-war movements and the blacks.

David
igm

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 01:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:
Some people have done it as a means of fighting back against (allegedly) perceived abuses against them.
By that means, thay have requested public support for their respective philosophical positions, e.g., the labor movement,
the pro-nazi & the anti-nazi movements, the anti-commie & pro-commie movements, the pro-abortion
and the anti-abortion movements, the pro-war & anti-war movements and the blacks.
David

I'd still say that the way to do it, would be to put up a poster saying what your talk is about and invite people to come along... so I guess I'm saying you can push your beliefs on others if you tell them you're going to and invite them to turn up if they want.... In a sense that is what we're doing when we create a topic here.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:06 pm

The worst aspect of this topic
r those who rant in moving subway cars, where u r TRAPPED.
0 Replies

RexDraconis111

Reply Thu 3 Nov, 2011 02:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Years ago, long before 2OO8, I wrote an article exposing
the follies and the constitutional infirmities of gun control in America.
I distributed it at NRA meetings and I left piles of it elsewhere,
for people to take one. Was I morally out-of-line ?

Okay, for that, I'll admit I mis-worded that. Just handing them out isn't bad, because people can still choose not to read it.

My bad on that one.

But even still, yelling things is harder to ignore, therefore on that point, my argument stands.
0 Replies

melodyann

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 01:14 pm
@RexDraconis111,
Hello my dear people, I googled this question myself, I found this. I have had similar experiences. And I am a believer myself. However my belief and reading of the word and other doctrines I have come to my own conclusions that do work for me and that have been tested and I will have to say also experience certain things that have come to me that I believe we're from a higher power. So, having said that I do understand the nature of the problem, however, we encounter with people of a different sort of conviction thing is that we both have convictions about these beliefs and, that is to be regarded. I would agree that it borders inherently on the detestable side when you have been approached by one of these passionate believers. The difference I believe is that I do not need to passionately make you believe what I am passionate about that's what makes it my passion. If this premise of my passionate belief has to be your passion at belief then I suppose all of us would have been crucified along Jesus Christ. We do live in a part of the world that allows that freedom that we fought 4 and by God's grace is given to us and we get to use it again if we choose to always choice being operative I like to comment on what the one gentleman said about the mentality of these more passionate Believers that feel the need to coerce you or somehow make you think or feel that you are delusional in your ideas and your beliefs. I believe it stems from the original sense that God is a Supreme Being. And if one believes in a Supreme Being and all that is written about that Supreme Being; then to be a follower of that somehow makes you also a Supreme Being to others that are of different belief. It's the age-old want to belong to the better than yours group. I believe dr. Seuss wrote about it and a very simple matter and with a very loving tone in his writing... we have stars upon our. If we take a step back and truly see that we are all the same as the the creatures in this story did In the end we will realize that we are no different than each other and trying to make one another feel less than ourselves is no way to be superior. I believe God made us in His image, all of us and being human that gives us a little advantage to being some what Superior over the creepy crawly things and the animals that Prey Upon other animals at least you would think. I wish you all well and finding your questions on how to deal with things of this nature but remember this everybody wants to feel loved and to feel a part of No one is an exception to that rule. I do believe that the one comment that was stated is very true... When we do finally come to a place of understanding of ourselves and the nature of things around us and have a peace in yourselves and a sense of what is right for us there is no need to fight or push that on to anyone else. I do believe this is truth and correct. We can and do then accept ourselves for Who We Are and when we accept ourselves for who we are it's much more likely that we will accept others for who they are and love them in spite of the differences pure and simple. when we tug of war with ourselves we will tug of war with others. If I tell you there is a heaven and I want you to be there with me it's only the others choice to want to also believe it as well. We were given a book, and our minds, hearts ,and the bodies we came with. So far we have managed to almost make it to the home depot with a technical navigational device. Let if there is the supreme being called God be that supreme being to get us there. After all he knows where it is!
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2016 01:36 pm
Unless asked, I've always been very averse to even bring the subject of my beliefs up, let alone push them on anybody.
Ran across this short clip from Penn (of Penn & Teller), a well known atheist. His comments did give me reason to think about it again.

https://vimeo.com/52957285
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2016 04:26 am
Utterly specious reasoning.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2016 05:43 am
Human beings are social animals and bound to take the mission of enlarging and strengthening their group of reference. We love conversions.
0 Replies