HONG KONG SINCE 1997

satt fs

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 04:40 am
Clary, I have received a copy of the book "Culture Smart! HONG KONG" today. It is a very cute and beautiful book as well as it is very very informative. I would study it carefully. It is very enjoyable.

Congratulations on the publication!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 04:28 am
Embarrassed Aw, shucks!
Well thanks very much, satt-fs!! I hope it is useful and informative. It was fun to write - if you know your subject really well it's surprising how the text just pours out. I didn't realise what I knew till I started writing, but as I'd been in HK for 17 years, I obviously knew a lot!
0 Replies

Euler

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 11:25 am
Hi Clary~ I'm new here in this forum.. i'm from hk.. i think i've missed out a lot.. havn't i? i've read the past posts of others... there're great...
i've been in hk a bit shorter than u do... coz i've spent a few years as an aussie when i was a kid.. and i'm now studying in hk...

reply to pragmatic: u'r right.. some politicians wanted to draw the attentions of the ppl... a few years bak... we had economic downturn... ppl were blaming the gov't, mr. tung did wut he can.. i respect him... as a nice man... but he was not a cunning man(unlike most of the politicians in the world)... he took up responsibilities.. and admitted his fault.... the opposing noise grew louder after mr. tung's gd tolerance..... more politians wanted to gain from protesting and opposed the gov't only bcoz they wanted to... tht's the phenomenon... and now... Donald Tsang is in charge.. i believe that he's a capable man.. but he's surely not a nice man... let us use our eyes to see him in the future....
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 12:19 pm
Hehe. I quite liked Donald as a chap to talk to but he is ambitious and so... but he does know how to run the civil service which is very important, hk did v well when the civil service were running it without any interfering politics from England or China!
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:45 pm
Euler wrote:
Hi Clary~ I'm new here in this forum.. i'm from hk.. i think i've missed out a lot.. havn't i? i've read the past posts of others... there're great...
i've been in hk a bit shorter than u do... coz i've spent a few years as an aussie when i was a kid.. and i'm now studying in hk...

reply to pragmatic: u'r right.. some politicians wanted to draw the attentions of the ppl... a few years bak... we had economic downturn... ppl were blaming the gov't, mr. tung did wut he can.. i respect him... as a nice man... but he was not a cunning man(unlike most of the politicians in the world)... he took up responsibilities.. and admitted his fault.... the opposing noise grew louder after mr. tung's gd tolerance..... more politians wanted to gain from protesting and opposed the gov't only bcoz they wanted to... tht's the phenomenon... and now... Donald Tsang is in charge.. i believe that he's a capable man.. but he's surely not a nice man... let us use our eyes to see him in the future....

Euler this is fascinating - our view points are very very similar! And so are our backgrounds, except I was born in HK and left at four to live in Australia (am in Queensland at the moment) and you are vice versa!! Surprised A very pleasant suprise!!

I agree with you - Tung Chee Hwa did all he could and the ppl of HK just got more and more ... ridiculous: I am willing to declare they didn't even take the whole thing seriously, more just to get a kick out of it all - as if anyone would vote up Long Hair (you know who I mean right?) to politics! He looks like he belongs to the streets.

Keep me updated!! Have you seen some of the other threads here about asian issues? China and Taiwan is one and The diaoyutai dispute is another - both issues of which I am very keen on.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:11 pm
I've visited HK a few times, but not enough to really understand their politics or politicians. My last visit was in February for Chinese New Years that was really a treat. We went to the parade and did the dinner-cruise for the fireworks. Also went to the New Territories and visited the Yuen Yuen Institute where they practice Buddhsim, Taoism and Confucianism. On the evening of New Years day, I went out with the young folks to Lan Kwai Fong, and paid the price for drinking too much. Danced like a teen-ager. Barely made it back to my hotel room - thanks to another couple in our group. When I got up the next morning, all my clothes were on the floor. Good memories! Wink
0 Replies

Euler

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:40 pm
Clary,
I agree that Donald is an ambitious man.. tht's kind of a gd thing and a bad thing in my sense.... the good thing is that hk is going to hav a stronger gov't, at least it would be "bullied" by the polititians in the Mr. Tung period... and he's familiar with the gov't structure.. and had been someone who has a network in the civil servants structure... and those ar good things to hk...
But he luvs going on tv.. and didn't want other's to take his spotlights.... and i dunno if he'll hav bias on some cooporations or companies.. and he's someone who likes to take small advantages of others...
I think guidance is needed for the city.. not interference....
0 Replies

Euler

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:50 pm
Pragmatic,
haha^^ in terms of matrix(mathematics, not the movie)... u'r my inverse~!!! haha^^ u've been living in aust since u was 4? o... may i ask a question? how o r u??? teenage?
i had my life spent in Sydney when i was a little kid..

Ironically, ppl will begin to treasure Mr. Tung's merciness... and his tolerance.. if Tsang had been the first chief executive.. and Mr. Tung is the 2nd one.. it's gonna be better~?! i had thought of tht.... that long hair only knows how to yell and he doesn't know anything constructive... i reli wanna ask him.. "if u were the chief executive, how would you improve the life of the ppl livin in hk~!?"...... actually... wut'z your point of view on article 23 and July 1st protest? (let's not talk about politics... dun wanna make this a political post)"P

i'll check that issue later... i reli gotta feed myself first... juz bak home from sch...

Btw, what's your favourite place to visit in hk~!? (this question goes to all ppl who sees this....

Clary, can u giv me your professional choice~!? (i wanna know~"P)
0 Replies

Euler

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:59 pm
Cicerone imposter,

u dun need to understand the politics in hk as long as you're only a tourist... juz enjoy....^^

Did you see me the Chinese New Year Cart Parade???Haha^^ actually i was working there... as a volunteer... it was soooo cool... and i also worked in the hk Rugby7s.... hav u ever went for the games~!?

I think that one of the things which is good in hk is that the places are vv close to each other.. which u dun hav to waste time on transport... and the transportation system is vv gd... comparing to Sydney...."P (please point out my mistakes if u think i'm wrong, pragmatic~!)

Besides Lan Kwai Fong... we hav the SOHO area around it.. which i think i like more.. maybe coz i dun drink..."P

HK Disney will be openned in September this year.... will this attract you to come?(i dun think so... but the gov't thought so~)

Btw, the Wetland Park will open soon, where u can see a lot of different kinds of birds and creatures in wetland.. and the cost of making that area out cost a real hack of money...

lastly, how do you feel about hk?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 02:26 am
[email protected] is an interesting view of the politics
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:31 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I've visited HK a few times, but not enough to really understand their politics or politicians. My last visit was in February for Chinese New Years that was really a treat. We went to the parade and did the dinner-cruise for the fireworks. Also went to the New Territories and visited the Yuen Yuen Institute where they practice Buddhsim, Taoism and Confucianism. On the evening of New Years day, I went out with the young folks to Lan Kwai Fong, and paid the price for drinking too much. Danced like a teen-ager. Barely made it back to my hotel room - thanks to another couple in our group. When I got up the next morning, all my clothes were on the floor. Good memories! Wink

Oh, ci, you are the funniest man on earth - that is just the funniest my-trip-to-HK experience I have read about!! So that's how you keep yourself so healthy!! Laughing
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:47 pm
Euler wrote:
Pragmatic,
haha^^ in terms of matrix(mathematics, not the movie)... u'r my inverse~!!! haha^^ u've been living in aust since u was 4? o... may i ask a question? how o r u??? teenage?
i had my life spent in Sydney when i was a little kid..

In terms of matrix, hmm? Are you like those hot shot, top smart kids in HK who excel only in maths and science? Laughing Really, tho you seem pretty smart and intelligent in the context of social issues as well. I'm 20 years old (for 10 days now!!) so I have been living here for a while!!

How about you? I'm guessing you're around my age. When did you leave for HK?

Euler wrote:
Ironically, ppl will begin to treasure Mr. Tung's merciness... and his tolerance.. if Tsang had been the first chief executive.. and Mr. Tung is the 2nd one.. it's gonna be better~?! i had thought of tht.... that long hair only knows how to yell and he doesn't know anything constructive... i reli wanna ask him.. "if u were the chief executive, how would you improve the life of the ppl livin in hk~!?"...... actually... wut'z your point of view on article 23 and July 1st protest? (let's not talk about politics... dun wanna make this a political post)"P

Agreed and I back you right up - i think Tung really had tried, sincerly had, but the ppl of HK just do not know what they want...and this isn't something that can be blamed on either Chinese CCP, Tung or even the british government. The HK ppl can only blame themselves. Full stop. Your hypothetical situation about who being first and second cheif executive would have been an interesting scenario if it had happened, then we'll see how the HK ppl react.

Hey, when you ask that long hair idiot that question, I want to be there! All he does is just yell, scream, dirty the sheets with his hair and cause trouble. What in the world has the HK ppl come to, if they abuse their right to vote with this type of result??

I posted up some messages which may be relevant to this thread in the following address:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1386953#1386953

and

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1388322#1388322

Please - anyone feel free to read this and give me feedback. Clary, I would highly value your opinion for this issue. Its in the context of the current "defectors" from china coming to australia seeking political asylum, claiming that they have some sort of secret and/or are against the chinese CCP treatment of Falungong. The post was to defend the CCP for the time to date and question the defectors credibility and truthfulness.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 08:24 pm
Cicerone imposter,

u dun need to understand the politics in hk as long as you're only a tourist... juz enjoy....^^ I acted like a tourist too!

Did you see me the Chinese New Year Cart Parade???Haha^^ actually i was working there... as a volunteer... it was soooo cool... and i also worked in the hk Rugby7s.... hav u ever went for the games~!? We were seated in the third row seats at one of the corners; very good seats where we were able to every show two times. Wink

I think that one of the things which is good in hk is that the places are vv close to each other.. which u dun hav to waste time on transport... and the transportation system is vv gd... comparing to Sydney...."P (please point out my mistakes if u think i'm wrong, pragmatic~!)
As a senior, I was able to ride the Star Ferry for free! When my son and I visited five years ago, we took most of the transportation available in HK. We did pretty good on the trains.

Besides Lan Kwai Fong... we hav the SOHO area around it.. which i think i like more.. maybe coz i dun drink..."P
Our tour director invited me to join them the following nite to SOHO, but as a senior, I had to rest and recover - cause HK was only the start of our 15-day journey to Asia.

HK Disney will be openned in September this year.... will this attract you to come?(i dun think so... but the gov't thought so~)
We heard about the HK Disney during our visit to HK, and know the location on Lantau where it's being built, and the opening in September. I enjoyed the HK Disney float during the parade.

Btw, the Wetland Park will open soon, where u can see a lot of different kinds of birds and creatures in wetland.. and the cost of making that area out cost a real hack of money...
I'm planning on another trip to China, because I want to do the Yangtse River cruise, and most of the tours includes HK, so I may be visiting again in a year or two.

lastly, how do you feel about hk?
I love HK - as a tourist. There are many good restaurants, and my eyes continues to seek out for those beautiful women. Wink I'll definitely be back!
0 Replies