what is the best way to build the upper register for trumpet players??

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 09:34 pm
I am going to play lead on a jazz concert soon and there is a solo there with an insanely high whole note. I have extreme diificulty playing this not with a good tone quality, please help!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,266 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 09:41 pm
@sorahauk,
Check out this professor's dissertation on the subject:

http://scholarlyrepository.miami.edu/oa_dissertations/554/

Here's the introduction to it. You'll have to download the article to read the rest of it:

Quote:
One of the most desired assets for a trumpeter is the ability to play in the upper register, also known as the extreme register. Upper-register playing is required in most genres of music, and it is considered one of the most difficult mental and physical challenges of trumpet performance. This paper aims to critically analyze and discuss upper-register playing, thereby serving as a guide enabling trumpet players to more effortlessly master this task. To achieve this, there will be an in-depth analysis of the Baroque approach to the upper register, which will then be compared to the modern approach. The assessment will differentiate among embouchures used, jaw and facial structures (i.e. overbite or under bite, straight teeth, or gaps in teeth), diet, breathing techniques, tongue placement, and equipment or combinations thereof (i.e., different mouthpiece and trumpet combinations). Additionally, a study of past and present professional upper-register masters, as well as myths of upper-register playing, will be presented. This paper is intended to serve as a methodology to upper-register trumpet playing and will offer trumpet performers simple, yet proven, practical methods which can improve proficiency in this critical arena.

Welcome to A2K and congratulations on your solo opportunity.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2011 10:06 pm
I used to use this technique, back in the day, when I sung. I learned it from a saxophone playing friend of mine. Other horn players I know use this breathing exercise as well. Take sheet of paper, hold it up against a wall about 1/2 an arms length away, blow on it, remove your hand, hold the paper against the wall in place for as long as you can using only your steady stream of air. It's difficult at first but if you keep practicing you'll get the hang of it and be able to control your breathing and the force at which you blow. As you get better, widen the distance between yourself and the wall.
I had a friend who could do this from a meter away..
Good luck and congrats on the solo.

Hope this makes sense.
0 Replies