Is this better than driving drunk?

Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 04:09 pm
A 9-year-old girl, propped on a booster seat behind the steering wheel of a van, was her father's "designated driver" .

When an officer stopped the van, the girl's response, police said, was, "What did you stop me for? I was driving good."

Earlier, as surveillance cameras recorded the scene, the father told a Detroit-area store clerk that he had been drinking.

"I've got a designated driver," the man said, according to the tape, after strolling into a Citgo gas station with his daughter about 3 a.m. on October 8.

The store's cameras captured footage of the child emerging from the driver's door of a red van after it pulled alongside a gas pump and jerked to a full stop.

"She drives us here," the man said on camera. "Nine years old, in the truck, we're here. She drove all the way here."

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-10-18/us/us_michigan-driver-daughter_1_surveillance-cameras-booster-seat-gas-station?_s=PM:US

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 862 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 04:11 pm
@Linkat,
no.

they should charge him with DUI, and reckless endangerment of a child...
Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 04:32 pm
@Rockhead,
well they couldn't charge him with dui - but he was charged with your second suggestion.
Ragman

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 04:38 pm
@Linkat,
Aren't 9-yr-olds supposed to be in bed at 3 am? Not in Detroit apparently.
Linkat

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 04:43 pm
@Ragman,
Yep I'd imagine they should be. Nothing worse than having a cranky, over tired 9 year old driving the car.
Ragman

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 05:07 pm
@Linkat,
I'd rather that than some of these whacky ones here.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2011 08:20 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

well they couldn't charge him with dui - but he was charged with your second suggestion.

Not really sure but aren't there states where simply sitting behind the driver's seat (intoxicated) and with the engine turned off considered a DUI?

If so then this father can be pressed with the a DUI charge for just bring drunk in the vehicle (an extension of that precedent/law interpretation).
Linkat

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 10:10 am
@tsarstepan,
Nah - he wasn't sitting in the drivers seat - that would then apply that anyone sitting in a car drunk with another driver that isn't drunk behind the wheel could get arrested.
saab

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 10:36 am
@Linkat,
and you could not take a cab home when drunk or almost drunk.....
Maybe not even take the late buss back home.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 11:12 am
@Linkat,
In reading further about this guy --he's a real piece of work - charges of unarmed robbery, possession of a firearm, receiving stolen goods, etc. The fact that anyone has allowed him to be in charge of the welfare of a 9-yr-old is a criminal act in and of itself.

Is there anyone in DYS or any of the public agencies in Detroit-area with a lick of sense?
Linkat

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 11:17 am
@Ragman,
And in reading about this guy - so many people are talking about how great a dad he is - I can not comprehend how he could be a good dad...doesn't mean he doesn't love his child, but seeing his history he certainly doesn't appear to be dad of the year.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 11:42 am
@Linkat,
She was safer behind the wheel then in sitting next to him while he drove.

In only a marginal way that is essentially meaningless, having her drive was better than him driving.

Hardly a testimony to his love though.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is this better than driving drunk?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 03:24:04