Ulysses

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 08:42 am
Has anyone here read James Joyce's 'Ulysses'? I have not, but I bought a copy of it for my mother (on request) for christmas. I have heard many rumours about it being 'unreadable' and such and just wondered what your experience has been with this book...

ta
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 620 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 10:06 am
I've read Joyce, but not Ulysses. I was a grad student in English, and there was a seminar devoted to reading the novel. That wasn't my area, so I never took it. But it gave me the notion, like you, that the book might be impenetrable without some help. Now I wonder if that's really true. If you like challenging fiction, why not try it, vroonika? Best of luck!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 11:57 am
There are several ways to approach Ulysses. My suggestion is to read it fast the first time through, not getting hung up on obscure words or passages. You will come through with a broad understanding of it. Then, if you are sufficiently motivated you can read it more slowly and even buy studies of it to help you through. I keep a copy of it near my computer and from time to time still open it at random, or search out passages, just for the sheer pleasure of it.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2004 04:03 pm
Ulysses
One thing to remember is that it parallels Homer's Odyssey. If you keep the events of that in mind, you can make sense of some things that don't otherwise seem to. It also helps to read bits out loud, because a lot of Joyce's writing is really for the ear. (This is particularly true of his other major work, Finnegan's Wake.)
0 Replies