How to perceive this world

RexRed

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 12:20 pm
What do I mean by "world"? Well there is the physical world and then there is the social world and all that entails.

I am talking about the social world and all its good and bad? Should we love it or set our backs to it and persevere another course? Should we bond to this world and all of its trappings and gear, (words, languages and culture) or should we create our own tools and devices with which to guide our private perceptions?

I was taught in religion to hate this world and to hate this life and look only to the next. But, I never really believed or wanted to believe this. I was taught I was not a citizen of this world but a citizen of another higher world. None of this seems true to me. It is really terrible to wake up one day and find yourself in a strange place that you are preconditioned to misunderstand.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,746 • Replies: 21

JLNobody

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 06:20 pm
@RexRed,
Rex, good for you. The healthiest mental posture is a "this-worldly" religious attitude toward life. THIS and HERE are where we belong. Other-worldly religious attitudes serve only to reject our actual existence in favor of fantasies.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2011 07:41 pm
@JLNobody,
...simple straight and true...
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 12:03 am
@RexRed,
I had my fair share of that sort of upbringing myself, it is not easy to overcome.
Over the years I have discovered reading to be a valuable tool in this endeavor. There are many authors who are quite skilled at presenting their humaness, of course many are not, so choosing wisely is important.
Off the top of my head a couple of the good ones are Kurt Vonnegut and Henry David Thoreau, both of which have a real knack for expressing the deepest parts of being human.
This religious "anti-worldly" view stunts our ability to relate to the social world of which you speak.
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:10 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

I am talking about the social world and all its good and bad? Should we love it or set our backs to it and persevere another course? Should we bond to this world and all of its trappings and gear, (words, languages and culture) or should we create our own tools and devices with which to guide our private perceptions?

I do not think that we have to do either. Maybe we should be wary of the 'world', but by no means do we have to be sick of it. I think you are presenting a false dilemma here.

Also, what is a private perception?
RexRed

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 10:42 am
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich wrote:

RexRed wrote:

I do not think that we have to do either. Maybe we should be wary of the 'world', but by no means do we have to be sick of it. I think you are presenting a false dilemma here.

Also, what is a private perception?

Systems of belief are apparently present in this world. These beliefs range from the scientific that state we all come out of Africa and based upon physical collective scientific evidence, to beliefs in a supernatural spirit and soul that separates us from not only other unenlightened but also all other life forms.

Just because you are possibly foggy on this matter does not mean it is a false dilemma where I can see the imposed dividing line quite clearly.

Private perception, personal interpretation, one's own, thought grown in the absence of other competing thoughts, radicalism.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 11:16 am
Radicals don't see this as a "dilemma", because they are so convinced their own side is right and "the truth"...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 11:46 am
The dilemma is, natural versus spiritual. Religion (the spiritual side) questions and blames the human nature and provides a spiritual nature as a solution.

Religion questions the cause of illness and says it is not a physical anomaly but a spiritual malady. As we have learned in the 21 century that illness is physical and not caused by demons and devil spirits (as Jesus proposed). We also need to learn that we are all united through the physical and divided by these spiritual imaginations. And that evil does not exist... only human error and circumstance. So how do we change our nature? Is there really such a thing as human nature or is it more like instinct? Is the human nature another device and tool devised by religion to entrap us again into doubting our own validity and self.

This self awareness will rely on the physical science cures and the brains ability to cope with and repair the body. It is the brain turning on and off switches in our DNA not demonic possessions and sins of the fathers. It is evolution survival and science in a social setting.

We are one world... one unified ball of life that sprung out from the same fountain of the earth.

To superimpose spiritual causes and morality derived from superstition upon physical phenomenon is counterproductive to ever really finding the actual cause, reason, truth and answers of life.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 03:00 pm
JLNobody

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 07:36 pm
@RexRed,
Ironically, I couldn't download his commencement speech on my Mac.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2011 11:53 pm
is part of our truth instinct?
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 12:00 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:
I was taught in religion to hate this world and to hate this life and look only to the next.

I had always thought that this kind of muddled outlook ceased at some time during, or immediatly following, the Middle Ages. Honestly. I was never, ever taught anything like that during my early religious upbringing. To look forward to rewards in the afterlife, yes, but not to, therefore, despise this one. (I was raised in the Lutheran faith, btw.)
wayne

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 12:14 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Never taught to be ashamed of your nakedness, or offended by bodily functions?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 12:17 am
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

Never taught to be ashamed of your nakedness, or offended by bodily functions?

Hell, no. I was taught that to appear naked was bad manners but certainly no mention was made of it being somehow sinful.
wayne

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 12:22 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Have you ever wondered when and why, in the history of man, appearing naked became bad manners?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 07:41 am
@wayne,
...probably when inopportune erections brought up the inner "beast" inside a pissed off "husband" ! Wink
JLNobody

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:53 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
At my age there are no "inopportune" erections.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 08:44 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

Have you ever wondered when and why, in the history of man, appearing naked became bad manners?

Nope. Never wondered about that at all. Still don't.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 08:48 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...probably when inopportune erections brought up the inner "beast" inside a pissed off "husband" ! Wink

That, apparently, happens far, far less often than one might think. I have basked on nude beaches here in Hawaii as well as on the Gulf coast of Mexico and have never seen (or experienced) any "sexual embarrasment" due to the proximity of nude members of the opposite (or same) sex. I have read and been told that any such involuntary erection is so extremely rare as to be no cause for any one's worry.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 11:28 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
...fair and true...
...but let me just counter that we guys, in the old days, use to live up with some luck to around 35 40 years old and start a "marital" relation as soon as 14...with that age in place I would n´t bet my ass a kiddo could not suddenly get enthusiastic with some hot chick already taken over by some other Neanderthal...now if you ad up the advent of the first city´s appearance and growth with the boom in development after the neolithic, then the "maths" about the problem start to make some sense...but then it might just as well be pure speculation on my part...

1. Forums
  2. » How to perceive this world
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 08:02:15