Homepage Changing on Auto - WANT IT STOPPED!!

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:08 pm
Depends on the way you look at it.

Using software to respawn is very virus-like.

Getting onto your computer used trojan-like methods and it can re-download itself which is like a backdoor since it can then be made to download anything.

But the ultimate purpose seems to be a simple hijack.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:29 pm
Incidentally, a just ran search for thebestse on Google now & currently they list only 12 results, the first 8 of which point to able2know. And nowhere else is a fix for this variant of thebestse hijack listed...interesting, considering I got it several months ago on my own PC (though at the time I didn't look into which particular items were causing it, but just removed everything suspicious looking using hijackthis).
0 Replies

orpiment

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:48 pm
All clear now - Thankyou
Huge sigh of relief.

Thankyou to everybody especially monger and sandman the culprit appeared to be ;

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [system32.dll] C:\WINDOWS\system\systeminit.exe

which remained after I removed

O4 - Global Startup: sytem32.exe
and
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [system] C:\systemsearch.hta

I guess the only good thing about this is that the scum who put these things out are balanced out by you guys who are willing to spend time helping others.

Cheers! I'm going for a beer!
0 Replies

azarmadillo

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:58 pm
Finally! I combined all the steps above and finally got rid of it on my machine. Thanks for everyone's help, research and posts!

azarmadillo/Chad
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:25 am
...See this for more info: Thebestse.com browser hijack :: Removal instructions
0 Replies

Venom5-0

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:02 am
THANK YOU!!! I finally got that crap to stop popping up on my pc. I kind of had a feeling about the sstyle.css file, but just didn't have the guts to delete it. Regardless, the fix worked. THANK YOU!!! You guys rock!!

Jamie
0 Replies