Study: Many college students not learning to think critically

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 09:44 am
@rosborne979,
You are right but, in the meantime, why are the U.S. education ratings so low?

BBB
BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 10:47 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Given the current sky high prices and the debt load an average student assume to "paid" for his or her degree, if a large percents of college students could think critically they would not be college students.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2011 11:15 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Given the current sky high prices and the debt load an average student assume to "paid" for his or her degree, if a large percents of college students could think critically they would not be college students.
You have a point...I was reading about why Seattle has done pretty well during the recession and one of the major factors I am told is because of the huge UW campus in the city....lots of money is spent both on salaries of UW employees, in housing and food/booze service for the students. A huge amount of this money comes from Washington DC or at least facilitated by Washington DC and is financed by debt. The kids who borrow money for 5 years of classes and partying and then go back home to live with mom and dad would have been better off skipping the university. Those of us who pay taxes for the limited education they get certainly are not getting value for our money. I was visiting my daughter last Saturday and the restaurants and bars around campus where jammed...they might be stressing about their prospects after school but they certainly look to be enjoying the "University Experience" that they signed up for.
BillRM

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2011 04:58 am
@hawkeye10,
The loans programs not only saddle generations with large debts it is the driving engine that allow the costs of a college education to far out pace the raises in the overall inflations rate decade after decade.

My forty something step daughter had her four years degree paid for up front by her mother and yet she just got done at age forty paying off the loans for her master degree.

With four young grand children in the family the bulk of the estates of both myself and my wife is going to go into paying for their educations so they will not be saddle early in life with large debts.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 07:36 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

You are right but, in the meantime, why are the U.S. education ratings so low?

There are many reasons. But here's one of the problems...

Because the culture of peers in which our kids are being raised doesn't value education. No structural education system can educate those who do not want to learn.
BillRM

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 09:48 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Because the culture of peers in which our kids are being raised doesn't value education

That is one hell of a broad statement/claim.

In fact a child will would likely tend to picked his or her peer group base on his or her own interests that he or she bring to the table not the other way around.

My high school peer group carry slide rulers around for example.

We was for sure a small sub group of the student body but I do not remember my caring one little bit about the larger peer environment.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 3 Oct, 2011 12:36 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Quote:
Because the culture of peers in which our kids are being raised doesn't value education
That is one hell of a broad statement/claim.
Generally speaking. There are exceptions of course.
0 Replies