Another Reason This Asshole Sucks

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 07:55 am
@edgarblythe,
You didn't go to the right place.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 08:03 am
@Ticomaya,
You could be right. I couldn't afford the better restaurants.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 10:58 am
I remember going to a place in Kansas city... right over the border to what was touted as the worlds best barbeque. It was really good, I'll give it that..... but not barbeque.
Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 11:10 am
@Questioner,
There was a great little place "on the levee" (i.e., the black side of town) in Carbondale, Illinois, called Southern Bar-b-que. They served pulled pork sammiches on big buns, with cole slaw on top. Great stuff. The wonderful thing about bar-b-que is that there are so many variations out there.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 11:47 am
It's all good, just a matter of preference, although I think I have an advantage in judging styles as I didn't grow up in the hotbeds of any.

NY has great food, but BBQ is not on the list. For New Yorkers, BBQ is grilling steaks, hamburgers and hot dogs in the backyard. Sloppy Joes were called BBQ Beef on a Bun. And the closest thing to actual BBQ flavor were BBQ potato chips. So that tells you what you need to know about BBQ as a NY tradition.

I didn't grow up eating only one style, and none of the styles engenders any pride of region in me. I understand how it can in others, but that wasn't part of my culture growing up.

As I said, I like them all, but I like spicy food and so have a preference for spicy vs sweet BBQ.

I like the flavor of Eastern style which I don't suppose is either hot or sweet, but you have to admit Bi-Po it makes for an ugly plate. A little dollop of horrid NC cole slaw sure doesn't add any pop to the platter.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width/hash/c7/a9/c7a9e965df80a7c7c445f965b3b03a5f.jpg

We're thinking about moving back East (more likely SC than NC - I may be through with the latter since it went for Obama in 2008. If it does it again in 2012, I will be for sure.) and if so it will be back to BBQ where pork is king. I'll have to bring some briscuit with me. Bet I could get a Texas BBQ joint making money in Charlotte, but the way Charlotte has been infested with Northerners you can probably find BBQ Beef on a Bun there now too.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 12:05 pm
I was in my twenties before I tasted barbecue. There is a place over on FM 1960 that my wife and I make the trek to about once a month. Heaven is what I call their barbecue - all varieties of it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 12:53 pm
I'm not buying that there are "styles" of bar-b-que which are regionally identical. While a region may favor a method, or a set of ingredients for the sauce, that doesn't mean they'll be identical. I've encountered crappy cole slaw everywhere.

I've eaten bar-b-que in Smithfield, Goldsboro, Selma, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Morehead City and Wilmington. None of them were identical, and if there was cole slaw, none of those recipes were identical, either. Some was good, some was only OK and some was excellent. The best bar-b-que i ever had in the Carolinas was at a pig-pickin' next door.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 12:55 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
I've had a little trouble with what they call Bar-B-que sauce up there in the Texas Hill Country where we lived for about 4 years. Phew-wee, that tastes sour. You have to be particular. I make the same kind of sauce we made in the north, flavored by honey or brown sugar. The beans up there (where the Commanches used to live) are disgusting. I make the beans the same, too, as they do in Boston. Boston baked beans, with honey and/or brown sugar.

I can say that, I suppose, because we don't eat any kind of meat now, but I still love beans.

As for Perry. What a pity he's given in to handlers. Geez, what did they do to his hair, make up on his face. He looks like a jerk. Actually, during the last debate he's standing there so looking not himself that he can't speak like himself. Maybe he's said all he knows. And it was all wrong.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 09:43 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
NY has great food, but BBQ is not on the list.
For New Yorkers, BBQ is grilling steaks, hamburgers and hot dogs in the backyard.
Of course, that is very true.

I was in Durham, N.C. earlier this month,
but it did not occur to me to go to get BBQ.

David
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 11:10 pm
BBQ is Regional--NC BBQ is good (East or West), I've had really good stuff in Missouri (Devils Elbow) from a pit that was better'n a century old that split the difference between Memphis and KC, I've even had some in Texas that was OK even with that thin Texas sauce, but my favorite BBQ is hickory smoked and the best hickory smoked BBQ comes from central Kentucky.

This place is one of the best Moonlight BBQ

Rap

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2011 11:59 pm
@Pemerson,
I might have to listen to you, Pem, but I'll fight first. I spent a lot of years with family cooking too many very sweet beans, Boston, you know, so certain cans or real bean efforts. I like beans, but savory. My mother talked of bean sandwiches back in the day.

I would ask you for your favorite recipe, if you'll give me a break and not do sugar cartwheels. Or maybe I should get used to it. (Fat chance). So, your favorite recipe and I can try it.

I think I don't understand lack of love for savory beans. I don't get the whole sugar thing.
raprap

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 05:37 am
@ossobuco,
My German grandma put pineapple in her baked beans--wunnerful wunnerful
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 07:21 am
I put ketchup, a little horseradish mustard, brown sugar (splenda) molasses, onions, chili powder, a tinch of cayenne pepper and believe it or not some hot dog relish (a little ) in mine.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 08:12 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Sound good: Minus the relish
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 08:18 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I might have to listen to you, Pem, but I'll fight first.
I spent a lot of years with family cooking too many very sweet beans,
Boston, you know, so certain cans or real bean efforts. I like beans, but savory.
My mother talked of bean sandwiches back in the day.

I think I don't understand lack of love for savory beans.
Regardless of the fact that u have me on Ignore,
I will declare myself as a non-lover of beans; never liked them.

David
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 11:05 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Sound good: Minus the relish

a little hot a little sweet a little heat...but you end up deserted and farting....stop to think of it that reminds me of my marriages.....
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 04:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Now, we are lazy, bottled is just fine but can add onions and something hot.
I've lived in several states and the sauce is different in each. While I lived in TX my first 19 years we ate beans, lots of beans, big brown beans. I think they were pintos. Not the sweet Boston variety. Comfort food, I guess, but they came with about every meal. Sometimes we had them for 'supper' with cornbread and onions, pear preserves. Oddly, I remember getting barbeque or sandwiches only at restaurants. The best was at the Pig Stand drive-in restaurants.

You won't believe this. I'm fixing barbequed chicken for dinner. I got up to see what brand husband bought. It's Kansas City Masterpiece, The Real Deal, Original Kansas City. Says all that right on the bottle. I opened and smelled it, and it does smell right (our nose knows). So, kudos to whoever said Kansas City's was best.

I skin and take chicken breast off bone after cooking slowly with a little broth and veggies as if making soup. Slice it and place in casserole with (thick) sauce. Heat slowly, then serve on wheat hamburger bun. My family has always loved this.

Pemerson

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 04:39 pm
@Pemerson,
I don't think I know what exactly is "savory" beans.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 05:19 pm
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:
I don't think I know what exactly is "savory" beans.
I don 't.
I wonder whether I 've ever tried those or not.

David
Pemerson

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2011 05:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
It's not a kind of bean, David, it's a way to flavor the beans. They taste savory instead of sweet as Boston Baked Beans.

Notice: This topic is headed "This asshole sucks." We're way off subject! Just making myself laugh.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:43:31