Here Comes Trouble: Stories from My Life by Michael Moore

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 02:30 pm
I listened to several chapters of Michael Moore's latest and best book 9/17 , which he read on C-SPAN. It made be laugh and it made me cry. It's wonderful! I'm going to buy it for Butrflynet. ---BBB

Here Comes Trouble: Stories from My Life
by Michael Moore

Product Description

"I had an unusually large-sized head, though this was not uncommon for a baby in the Midwest. The craniums in our part of the country were designed to leave a little extra room for the brain to grow in case one day we found ourselves exposed to something we didn't understand, like a foreign language, or a salad."

Michael Moore-Oscar-winning filmmaker, bestselling author, the nation's unofficial provocateur laureate-is back, this time taking on an entirely new role, that of his own meta-Forrest Gump.

Breaking the autobiographical mode, he presents twenty-four far-ranging, irreverent, and stranger-than-fiction vignettes from his own early life. One moment he's an eleven-year-old boy lost in the Senate and found by Bobby Kennedy; and in the next, he's inside the Bitburg cemetery with a dazed and confused Ronald Reagan. Fast-forwarding to 2003, he stuns the world by uttering the words "We live in fictitious times... with a fictitious president" in place of the expected "I'd like to thank the Academy."

And none of that even comes close to the night the friendly priest at the seminary decides to show him how to perform his own exorcism.

Capturing the zeitgeist of the past fifty years, yet deeply personal and unflinchingly honest, HERE COMES TROUBLE takes readers on an unforgettable, take-no-prisoners ride through the life and times of Michael Moore. No one will come away from this book without a sense of surprise about the Michael Moore most of us didn't know. Alternately funny, eye-opening, and moving, it's a book he has been writing-and living-his entire life.

About the Author

Michael Moore is a filmmaker and author. He was born in Flint, Michigan.

REVIEW
5 stars - Silences the soul and warms the heart, September 13, 2011
By Shawn Chittle (New York, NY USA)

Here Comes Trouble: Stories from My Life

I attended the book signing in New York City and Moore had the audience cracking up hysterically. But when he read a story about a young gay boy in his neighborhood, and another about his Mom dealing with 60's vile racism, there was nary a dry eye in the house.

"Here Comes Trouble" is a series of short stories. It's not a memoir per se but a set of stories based in the 60's-80's. The stories are carry a theme about social justice in the context of the time period. They could be enjoyed as fiction writing - but as non-fiction it makes them all the more entertaining and fascinating.

"Boys State" is a personal favorite story of a 17 year old Michael Moore ripping into The Elks organization in 1971 for its racist membership policies. The seeds of what Michael Moore was to become had been sewn.

As the largest private collector of Roger & Me memorabilia, I enjoyed the details of how the film was made. I also love how the book ends...

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 786 • Replies: 2
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 03:29 pm
There was a really good interview with Michael Moore in the Guardian a week or so ago.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/sep/07/michael-moore-hated-man-america?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 04:01 pm
He has his following, and I cannot be part of it.
0 Replies