Richard Dreyfuss wants more civics in schools. We must resume teaching civics

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 11:50 am
We must resume teaching civics
Richard Dreyfuss wants more civics in schools.
C-SPAN 2
9/17-18, 2011

I have tried for years to find those words that could make you feel the dread I feel about one fact of American life: we do not teach civics in our public schools anymore.

When you really think about that sentence, you begin to understand the selfishness, greed, denial, decay and the belief that the people are the audience, not the performance of America.

America is a miracle and the whole world knows it except Americans because we don't teach it.

Do you think that the rest of the 21st century will be some kind of cakewalk? No you don't. But our kids aren't taught to balance a checkbook, how to hammer a nail, to cook or sew, or what due process is or why we have it. So how easy would it be to change it to “selective” due process.

I am trying to save my country. My line in the sand is refusing to think, “There's nothing I can do.” I can see something that others don't: how diminished we've become to one another.

We are raising up the cheap, the profit-only values.

We punish only the nickel and dimers, and we never demand accountability.

There is 100 percent agreement today that when a public official speaks, he or she is inauthentic.

You can fix Wall Street and the banks, and they will come back with subtler thievery.

You can keep complaining about taxes too high or low, instead of thinking about what we need. If you do, you can watch potholes bloom and see heroes — cops, teachers and fireman — living beneath the poverty line.

We want our kids to be devoted to the nation; what reasons do we give them if we don't tell our tale? That we're south of Canada?

A few weeks ago I addressed the Bar Association of the state of Maine. I asked, 'How many people here -- judges, lawyers and professors -- practice law in the courts of Maine without going to law school?'; No one raised their hands. I said, 'I rest my case. You all know the necessity of the bar exam. You all know that you must learn the arcane rituals of the courtroom. And yet, you cannot transfer that sensibility to citizenship, which is far more complex than lawyering.' "

We refuse to see the 800-pound gorilla sitting in our living room: If we don't teach who we are, why we are who we are and why we came to be who we are, we can solve every current political problem and it won't mean a damn thing because we will still have no firm foundation to stand on and know what is right from wrong. That's why good men do evil things, because they don't know the difference.

There are basics we must teach our children, and we don't teach them.

We fail.

We are the first generation of Americans to get an “F” in the most fundamental principle of our country: our future is more important than our past.

We are a nation bound by ideas only. We have no common ancestry or religion or commonly-agreed-to caste or class system. We are bound by those ideas born in the Enlightenment and actualized in the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights: the protection of individual liberties and that the people have the right to be protected by law, the same for all. If each new generation of Americans is not taught those ideas, and taught with rigor and pleasure, we are not bound.

What are the curricula that are absent, without which we will die as a nation and certainly as a moral exemplar? They are the pre-partisan tools of civic expertise: reason, logic, clarity of thought, critical analysis, raising up the values of dissent, debate, context and civility. We must tell the tale of the achievement of the Enlightenment which we alone actualized in our founding documents. We are not re-inventing the wheel here. These ideas are 3,500 years old, taught by the Greeks to their young. But of course we don't teach these inescapably necessary tools that allow us to maintain and comprehend this complex political process. That's because either we've done pretty good so far, there's not enough time in the day, or it's way too difficult for our kids.

If any of what I've just said is true, then God save the United States, because we're not.

http://www.thedreyfussinitiative.org/what-we-do/in-the-news-and-on-the-web.html#news

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,265 • Replies: 2
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 11:52 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I watched Richard Dreyfuss' inspiring presentation on C-SPAN on 9/17/11. It was also shown on 8/18. It is still shown on C-SPAN 2. I was so pleased that resuming Civics in schools is finally being discussed and promoted. It's long overdue. ---BBB

Dreyfuss promotes a return to civility, civics

NORFOLK, Va. — Of all the causes actors have chosen to champion, Richard Dreyfuss admits his passion lacks, well, a certain pizazz: Civics.

"Don't call it 'civics' because 'civics' is easily the most boring word in America," Dreyfuss says. "Call it what it is: political power."

Dreyfuss brings an actor's dramatic pacing and a historian's licks to his cause, erasing any notion that this lesson will be boring. He's bombastic, predictably brash and yet professorial during a 90-minute interview in a bland hotel suite in this seaport, where he was honored at a film festival earlier this year.

Kicked out of college for confronting a professor who criticized Marlon Brando's performance in "Julius Caesar," Dreyfuss recently studied at St. Antony's College at the University of Oxford to develop a curriculum for U.S. public schools.

Called The Dreyfuss Initiative, the curriculum would use scholarly presentations in videos and the Oscar-winning actor "as a storyteller, to engage, enlighten and empower students of all ages in an entertaining way," according to an outline. Dreyfuss said he would work with civic and educational groups to promote the teaching tools.

While the program has not been used in any classroom yet, Dreyfuss has launched a fundraising campaign to produce videos and the curriculum.

"I've got a very simple thing here," Dreyfuss said. "I've got a nonprofit initiative to get K-12 grades back to civics, to give our children real-world knowledge and hopefully wisdom about how to run this complex governance system. That's it. That's enough."

These days, Dreyfuss devotes most of his public appearances addressing the origins of our nation and lamenting a citizenry that he believes has lost its way.

"I stopped defining myself as an actor and I went to Oxford because I believe that America is a miracle," Dreyfuss said. "And I think that there is nothing easier in the world than for us to lose this miracle and to be reduced to words on paper."

Dreyfuss fears just that – that future generations will view our freedoms as a fairy tale.

"It'll break my heart, and it should break yours," he said.

Dreyfuss, 61, blames a lack of civil discourse, the din of television and any number of distractions for moving us away from understanding our origins as a nation.

Dreyfuss is comfortable discussing the sweep of human history, but he's especially drawn to the drama of the Civil War.

In March, he was the star attraction at a Washington, D.C., event for the Civil War Preservation Trust, which annually releases a report on endangered battlefields. His interest in the Civil War goes way back, and he was recruited as a re-enactor at the battle of Cedar Creek, in northern Virginia, while filming "What About Bob?," which was set at New Hampshire's Lake Winnipesaukee but filmed at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia.

Dreyfuss won an Oscar at 29 for "The Goodbye Girl," making him then the youngest male lead to win the trophy. He said the honor wasn't necessarily a good thing.

"I was too young," he said. "I didn't know until later that I am built to be in pursuit. I am not built to have achieved. I'm happiest when I'm on the hunt."

The Dreyfuss Initiative has put the actor back in the hunt – for a Nobel peace prize.

"Not to be glib about it, because nothing about this is glib, but I'm going for the Nobel," he said. "If I before I get it, I'd rather have a lofty ambition."
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2011 11:57 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Written collaboratively by the Executive Committee in conjunction with Richard Dreyfuss

There is no greater mandate in education than guiding our children to act as responsible citizens engaged in their community, nation, and the world around them. Our children will be the source of new ideas, new industries, and new jobs; the source of new problems facing our world. Excellence in Civics education is the linchpin of our success or failure in the world being created right now. This effort must be non-partisan. The principles upon which our country was founded shattered Old World notions of governance, and our Constitution remains, to this day, nothing short of a political miracle.

Teachers must have the tools, knowledge, and resources they need to convey these principles to the students they serve, and to nourish and cultivate bright, eager, civic-minded and responsible citizens to serve our future.
0 Replies