Ticket broker business in NYC

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 12:34 am
I was wondering if anybody knows how these ticket brokers get away with charging so much for tickets. I think the law is that you can't sell tickets in New York State for more than 10% over face value, but I see ticket brokers advertising in the papers and on the internet with prices way over that amount. How is that legal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,672 • Replies: 6
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 06:49 am
selling drugs is also illegal. What the scalpers do to skirt the issue is to sell you a piece of sports memoribilia and then they give you the tickets for free . So, by the law, your not actually a scalper.(nudge nudge)

I just spent a bloody fortune to get 2 tickets for me and farmerboy to see the Eagles Carolina Game at the Link this weekend. I did the same thing , I got a program signed by troy Akers and 2 decent tickets. Philly has a scalping law also, they just are too slow to close these loops and, well, as long as people are willing to pay,I say whats the harm?

I called to validate my tickets so besides getting scalped, I wasnt getting scammed.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 02:58 pm
Yes, I've heard of that kind of thing before. That's big on e-bay, but I'm talking about places like this.

http://www.national-events.com

On this site they currently have tickets to the Patriots/Colts playoff game this weekend for $2100 EACH! And it doesn't say anything about any sports memorabilia. They are located in NJ, which also has laws against overcharging for tickets. Are they greasing some politicians palms, or is there some legal way to do that?
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2004 08:05 pm
They're a registered ticket broker. Registered ticket brokers in New Jersey can charge up to 50% above the acquired price.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 01:13 am
So all I would have to do is become registered? Sounds like a good deal. Thanks ye110!
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 03:11 am
Registration involves a $10,000 deposit held in case of fraud.
0 Replies

raoff777

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 01:54 pm
Laws are more complicated than that...
The laws are not that simple though. People in New Jersey can get away with selling New York tickets in New Jersey to non-New York residents because the law that prevents it is a New York state law. New York state laws do not pertain to New Jersey residents (or residents of any other state for that matter.) If Mr. New Jersey wanted to take his Yankee tickets and go over to the Bronx to unload them, now that would be a different story. Because part of that "transaction" would be taking place within New York state boundaries, the State of New York maintains jurisdictional rights.

It's kind of like the speeding law. If a New York cop can see me speeding, but I am still in New Jersey, and I slow down before I cross the line, he can't touch me.

That's why on eBay, everyone and their brother can sell tickets for Jones Beach shows as long as no part of the transaction takes place in New York. That means neither the buyer nor the seller can live in New York, the tickets cannot be shipped to New York, arrangements cannot be made over a phone or through a third party in New York, etc.

There's some more really interesting stuff on scalping laws Edit (Moderator): Link removed

In the end, though, most of the on-site scalping you see IS in fact illegal. That's why eBayer's are making such a killing - there are very few laws governing them.
0 Replies