Weiner wars - NO, get your mind out of the gutter!

JTT

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 09:14 pm
http://www.cattlenetwork.com/cattle-news/latest/Wiener-wars-127783183.html

Weiner Wars

I really hope Oscar Mayer’s lawyers rolled up in the Wiener-Mobile when they arrived at a federal courtroom in Chicago Monday.
Beef content in hot dogs and truth in advertising are points of contention as the Oscar Mayer lawyers square off with those from competitor Ball Park Franks in federal court this week, with each company accusing the other of false advertising. Ball Park Franks is a division of Sara Lee Corp, while Kraft Foods Inc. fuels the aforementioned Wiener-Mobile and pays Oscar Mayer lawyers.
According to an Associated Press article, the dispute began in 2009, when Sara Lee filed suit, asserting Oscar Mayer ads claiming the brand beat Ball Park Franks in national taste tests were deceptive.
Kraft fired back with a suit claiming Ball Park Franks went too far with an advertising claim to be "America's Best Franks."
Sara Lee also disputes Oscar Mayer’s promotions saying its beef hot dogs are “100 percent pure beef.” If you want to be picky, I suppose they aren’t 100 percent beef, as they all contain seasonings in addition to meat. Oscar Mayer defends its claim, saying it simply means beef is the only meat in the company’s beef wieners.
A check of each company’s Web site shows both Ball Park Franks and Oscar Mayer offer a variety of hot dog styles, including several all-beef dogs. In addition to their regular beef dogs, both companies offer Angus-beef products.
Ball Park Franks also promotes a “Better for You” line of hot dogs featuring lower fat content, which includes their Angus Beef Franks and Lite Beef Franks, along with turkey franks and “Fat-Free Franks” made with turkey, pork and beef. Ball Park lists the ingredients for each of its products on the Web site.
Oscar Mayer promotes its Angus hot dogs as having no added nitrates or nitrites. The company’s regular beef dogs lack that claim. The Oscar Mayer “Classic Wieners” are made with turkey, chicken and pork. Ingredients lists for all Oscar Mayer dogs are included on the company Web site.
This is making me hungry. I think a side-by-side taste test is in order – Oscar Mayer Angus wiener against the Ball Park Angus Beef Frank. Pass the mustard please (no ketchup).

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 961 • Replies: 3
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 09:42 am
@JTT,
Screw 'em both

http://realeats.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/vienna-beef-sign-small.jpg?w=300&h=194
JTT

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 09:50 am
@joefromchicago,
It certainly seems like that's what they're trying to do to each other, Joe. Will this end up being an advertising success or will the truths brought out at trial sink their boats?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2011 10:00 am
i'm always worried by the phrase "Beef By-Products", i mean isn't cow **** technically a beef by-product
0 Replies