Pink Floyd

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 09:03 pm
When I think about that band 2 words come to mind, Overrated, and Underrated. It really annoys me! So what do you guys think of Pink Floyd?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,138 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 09:05 pm
Dark Side of the Moon is one of my favorite albums
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 09:38 pm
I love them.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 09:42 pm
Careful with that axe, eugene.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 09:59 pm
I began to lose 'em starting with Dark Side Of The Moon...it was and is a brilliant album but to me Pink Floyd is Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Ummagumma.....

I saw them doing the Meddle tour in 1970 something at the Eisenhower Theater in the Capital Center in true Quad which was unheard of at that time, the sound panning in a circle around the theater, I was so stoned on hash oil and doing so much meth it's a wonder I'm alive to tell the tale.....say what you want but Pink Floyd was the ultimate acid rock band.

That is a night that sticks in my memory. After Dark Side they became pretty formulated sound wise, sort of the way Genesis did. Strictly my opinion.

"On of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces" Yeah man. Cool
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 10:48 pm
I still have Pink Floyd on 8 tracks, they were a big part of my party days.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 11:13 pm
I am still looking for "Money" in the extended version: disk, lp, or cassett, so I guess you could say I like them.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 01:29 am
Why underrated, Child?

My faves are Meddle, Wish You Were Here, and Animals.

Meddle, I think, is the best of their early stuff, the pre-formulaic albums, as Bear has pointed out. Wish You Were Here is formulaic, but it's the mates' eulogy of Sid. 'Shine On' is basically a funeral dirge. It's the remembrance of a loved one lost to the world. And Animals, despaired Orwellian inspiration and all, but in the end, a glimmer of hope, confirming the mutual need for shelter found in another soul from the pigs on the wing in the world. And the guitar solo on 'Dogs' is absolutely heart wrenching. I associate the term "slowhand" with Gilmour as much as I do with Clapton.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 06:07 pm
The reason I think that they are underrated is because when people mention the top bands, Pink Floyd is NEVER in there.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 06:15 pm
Rating rock bands is overrated, IMHO. Of course, we all have our favorites, but those official lists are good to provoke discussion and argument, and that's about it...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:08 pm
Child of the Light wrote:
The reason I think that they are underrated is because when people mention the top bands, Pink Floyd is NEVER in there.

IMO, this is true mostly because they didn't really have large commercial sucess until they came out with "The Wall". At that point they turned to punching out nothing but commercial crap that was nothing like their earlier work ( He says while staring at his Ummagumma 8-track on the desk..).
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:13 pm
the band is just fantastic
that is really what I think.
By the way, which one's pink?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 09:42 pm
My sister spent her entire life loving only country/western music. One day, after a several year separation I met with her again. That time Pink Floyd was her music. I felt really good, knowing she could change and her nearing 50.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2004 06:51 pm
Underrated with Sid Barrett
Overrated without
0 Replies

Shadowless-Nightmare

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2004 12:58 pm
psychodelic kick @$$ band. i can dig
0 Replies