Process Server Phone Scam - got you yet?

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 01:07 pm
About a month ago I got a phone call from a young woman who claimed that a process server was attempting to come to my house to serve me a warrant. She could NOT answer one question about the warrent (who was serving me, my address, when, etc.) HOWEVER, she could give me a phone number to call and a "case number."

I googled the phone number and about 25 responses came up from people who had been called claiming the sherrif dept., bankruptcy court, process servers, court servers, etc. had been trying to get to them with papework.

They called again today and I said I was going to report them to my state's Attorney General if they didn't take me off their list. And hung up. She called back and by this time, I was steaming. I told her that I presently at home and to send the SOB oout to my house right now. And hung up. Someone else called me and I again told her that I was reporting them to my state Attorney General.

chai2

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 01:40 pm
So, what's the scam?
What do they get out of you?

I'm not joking, I really can't figure out what they want to scam you out of.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 02:09 pm
@chai2,
I believe the scam part happens when people call the phone number and punch in the "case number" their phone gets charged for a bunch of long distance calls they did not make.
chai2

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 03:02 pm
@Green Witch,
Ah....

thanks.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 03:15 pm
@PUNKEY,
I am so behind times. All I get are like "There are no problems with your account at this time. . . followed with a 900 area code phone number. Lately, they've wised up. Instead of stating the expensive 900 area code, they advise you to press 1 for further information. I assume that saves you the inconvenience of dialing 900
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 03:28 pm
Further research:
These are "sewer servers: they get their name from the process servers throwing the warrants in the sewer instead of delivering them (in the olden days0

Over the phone, they will tell you that there is a warrant out and for a fee, they can make it "go away.'

Phantom warrant, but many people are frightened, and pay the fee.

I did not even call the phone number. I was also afraid of the phone charge that probably would be connected with this, too.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 03:29 pm
@roger,
You're such a loser!

Oops - sorry, this isn't the Insult Chain thread! Sorry!

LOL

I get stupid ones, too, like 'We are calling you about your Telus account' but I actually don't HAVE a Telus account Smile Sometimes I just play along - like to mess with their 'minds'.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 07:45 pm
Are these calls being received on cell phones or land line phones?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2011 01:53 pm
land line
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 05:00 am
Quote:
Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while.
exactly!
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 05:06 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

So, what's the scam?
What do they get out of you?

I'm not joking, I really can't figure out what they want to scam you out of.

Probably at one point in the future part of the scam (after calling provided number), those involved would have the target confirm personal information over the phone: address, social security, etc....
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 05:21 am

A few times, I got calls purportedly from Yahoo! (if I remember accurately)
with my correct full name and address (at that time).
I called them "criminals" and was insolent to them on the fone,
but I was surprized that thay knew that much about me.

As I recall, thay tried un-successfully, to get me to program
my computer, according to their instructions. I told them to go to hell.

David
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 May, 2017 04:20 pm
I just received a scam telephone call today, and made the mistake of saying "yes." They immediately hung up.
I called my bank and credit card company to let them know about this scam. They said I'm not responsible for fraud, but should report any questionable charge to my account.
Anyone else get scammed?
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 5 May, 2017 04:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm a very wary phone answerer. I only answer on my caller ID phone - ID I recognize or far away friend's voice, or if I am expecting a call from a reputable source that fits with the ID. The other two phones, sans caller ID, are in case the house goes on fire when I'm in the kitchen, or similar scenario, like the roof falls in.

I swear, if I get one more senior help call for obtaining a device to button push if I am croaking, I'll be apoplectic. They start by saying I asked for the call, for what I had seen on TV. I don't have a ******* TV. Makes me wanna obtain my magic killer phone machete.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Process Server Phone Scam - got you yet?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:04:58