New Cable Connection - Rent or Buy A Modem

Sugar

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 10:59 am
I will be subscribing to a cable connection. I have two options - Comcast or my local electric company which both provide digital cable and internet. I've never used this service before and would like advice on the following:

Is it better to buy my own modem or rent one for additional cost from my provider? Pros and cons of both? They mention that if I rent, they provide free upgrades and take care of any hardware issues, but I'm wondering if I'd spend less money just occasionally upgrading myself. The 'rental fee' is an extra $10 a month.

If I buy, internal or external?

Any recommendations on manufacturers?

Does anyone have any yeahs or nays about Comcast?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks all!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 833 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 11:14 am
I have comcast and the deal when i got it was a free modem (external) Comcast has been very reliable so far and I have installed a router giving botyh meself and MS Diane internet access. (2 puters on line)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 11:18 am
Comcast uses the Motorola SurfBoard modem in this area. You can get your own (exact same thing) through Circuit City for $60.

The only big advantage to renting is that they'll replace it for free if it dies. If it lasts longer than 6 months (which most will easily..) you are better off buying your own.

I've never seen an internal Cable modem - wouldn't buy one even if I did. Stick with an external unit.

I will add that Comcast's cable Internet service has been extremely reliable for me so far.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 12:07 pm
We've been very happy with Comcast. I just looked at our most recent bill and Embarrassed I can't figure out if we own or lease the cable modem. I think we own it.

Argh, is there gonna be a test later?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 12:10 pm
WOW (wide open west) cable charges $2.50 a month rental for their cable box. You are allowed to use your own, they're just not responsible for it if it breaks down. I think it's well worth it to buy your own cable box.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 12:32 pm
Preface: I'm a Luddite.

When we got the DSL connection, the techie members of the family recommended leasing the $80 DSL box/modem rather than buying it.

Six months later lightning struck--literally lightning struck--and burned out the telephone company's DSL box/modem. They replaced their box at no cost to us.

Now, five months after the lightning, we're switching service to a cable connection. Their DSL box/modem was on sale for $49.95. The other modem will go back to the telephone company and we're ahead by $30.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 04:57 pm
I had a bad experience with Comcast Service. We cut our cable service, but they continued to bill us for it.

It was far too difficult to get this resolved. I spoke to several representatives on several occasions who seemed exceptionally uninterested in our problem.

I would drop Comcast as our DSL provider in a second if I could. Unfortunately they are the only company who offers high speed internet in our building.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 05:16 pm
Heh! I ran into the same thing with the MSN Qwest setup. They were also the only game in town. I'm back to dial up. Maybe slower, but much less frustrating.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 05:42 pm
I think that we rent the external modem from Road Runner. I believe that it is part of the service. The thing I like about the modem is that it has a switch to turn it off, when I am not surfing the net.
0 Replies