Removing Real Player Spyware

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 09:36 am
I just got a new computer, and installed Real Player on it. I know that Real Player has tracking spywear on it. About a month ago, I read where there is a way to disable the spyware component from Real Player, and I did. No I forgot what I did! Embarrassed

Does anybody know the way to disable the spyware in Real Player?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,170 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 12:13 pm
Yes, you have to uninstall it. I'm not sure what you did in the past that made you think you'd eliminated the "spyware component" and I think you may be mistaken.

Note: I hate Real Player but don't call it spyware.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 05:21 pm
I have RealPlayers as well as spy alert softwares on both the W2K and Mac OS. Those have never alerted RP to be a spyware. But I know RP on windows has very lengthy registry descrptions and somewhat detailed cookie files.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 10:07 pm
Uninstall it. There is a progam called Real Alternative. I am not sure about the legality of the program so I won't post a link.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 09:13 am
Oh Phooey! I was cleaning out my paper junk, when I came across the copy of the web page that described how to get rid of EVNTSVC.EXE It was from PC Pitstop. Apparently, disabling this file only allows Real Player to track while it is actually playing.

I had done this on 11/25/03, on my old computer. On my new computer, I could not find the same configuration on the Real Player settings in order to disable this.
I went to PC Pitstop, and typed in the URL of the page. Sure enough, PC Pitstop said that it did not have any information on this.

Looks like Real Player found a way to prevent people from disabling this file!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 03:27 pm
I do not know about Real Player, but let me suggest a few things.
You can know whether a process by EVNTSVC.EXE is working or not on your computer through Task Manager ("processes").

The .exe file in question does not seem to be a spy ware in a strict sense but a kind of scheduler for automatic updating or messaging.

There seemed to be a performance problem caused by the EVNTSVC.EXE file installed with an older version of RealOne Player (ver. 1) on XP, but RealOne Player ver.2 appears to have solved the performance problem.

(I usually use QuickPlayer on a Mac OS for audio/video. Sometimes I am forced to use RealOne Player or Windows Media Player. You can experience the both options in the following link. I prefer RealOne Player in this case.

http://www.wqxr.com/cgi-bin/iowa/air/listen/index.html )
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 03:48 pm
Quote:
There seemed to be a performance problem caused by the EVNTSVC.EXE file installed with an older version of RealOne Player (ver. 1) on XP, but RealOne Player ver.2 appears to have solved the performance problem.

Aha! I must have the newer version on my new computer. Not only did Real Player "solve" the performance problem, it made users unable to delete that file! Evil or Very Mad

Anyhow, it has just been a couple of days, and I have been playing around with the players. Personally, for background music, I like Radio@Netscape Plus. I can't surf and listen at too high a volume. I find it too distracting. With the Netscape, I click on a genre, and the music plays continuously, without commercial interruptions.

I am going to play around with the Windows and Real Player for listening in earnest. (I only have this computer for a few days. It has five speakers, and can blast you out of the room). I just listed for a few minutes the day that I got the computer. My first impression was that Windows Media had a smoother frequency response, but we shall see.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 03:59 pm
Quote:
My first impression was that Windows Media had a smoother frequency response, but we shall see.

My impression is based on an experience on a Mac OS, and my W2K machine is hundreds miles away now. But my favor is still for RealPlayer.

In fact, as a Mac user, I am an enthusiast of iTunes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 04:02 pm
Just took a quick look at itunes, and I see that it now is compatible with Windows. Hmmm, maybe I will look into it further!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 04:10 pm
With iTunes, you can also enjoy iPod.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 04:17 pm
Don't have an iPod...........yet!
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 04:21 pm
The iPod mini is a new product from Apple Computer this year.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 04:35 pm
iPod's are not worth the money. You'll get MUCH more bang for the buck with a Creative Zen Nomad. I'm talking close to 100%.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 06:11 pm
Just to show you where I'm at, my idea of a portable player is a Walkman.
When I go to the gym, all I need is a good disco tape, (Yes, I did say disco), and I'm ready to work out. I only use the Walkman at the gym or when I do my walking. (Rossini Overtures are great for speedwalking) Very Happy
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2004 07:15 pm
iTunes for Windows is also bloated. For music I only use WinAMP. It's the only audio playback software that hasn't exponentially increased in size over the years.
But since a lot of online content is in the Real or Quicktime formats I have Real Alternative and Quicktime Alternative handy.
0 Replies