Under what conditions is it morally acceptable to impose our beliefs on others, if they don’t ask?

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 02:54 pm
@CalamityJane,
(I always enjoy watching people try to lecture JLN : ))
igm

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 03:11 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

That sounds like a religious cult to me. Who is setting up the moral codes you're talking about, igm?

Quote:
Only the very wise and the very knowledgeable can distinguish what to discard if the group as a whole is not to be harmed by the loss of the morals discarded.In this sense the arising of ethical experimentation depends on first adopting rigid moral conduct.

This sounds quite frightening and I am reminded of people like the Mormon fundamentalists who (disguised as wise and ethical leaders) manipulate a group of followers to the extend that their pedophile tendencies are seen as "morally" right.

You misunderstand, I'm saying that the morals that society already has should not be discarded by just anyone because they could make a mistake that harms the rest of society. So only a very few would be able to do it without making a mistake that could do more harm than good. For example it is taught universally that incest is immoral.
igm

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 03:13 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

(I always enjoy watching people try to lecture JLN : ))

I'm not lecturing JLN. I am saying you need a moral compass before you go it alone.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 03:52 pm
@igm,
Sometimes a well hewn set of ethics can be reactive to the taught moral compass, so that the described compass is a trigger for disagreement. Whether the person would get to the ethics without that trigger, I would guess often. Moral ownership is problematic.

Otherwise, the taught moral compass can be a major impediment to anyone who will start to venture into ethics, i.e., thinking.

I'm out of my league here, so won't post further. I'm also not a buddhist, but usually understand JLN.
chai2

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 03:54 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:

For example: a moderate or someone with different beliefs deciding whether to confront a fundamentalist when that fundamentalist obviously doesn’t want the person’s opinion. The moderate believes that the fundamentalist’s beliefs have the potential to harm others either directly or indirectly. The exchange could inflame the situation.

What is your definition of "harm"?

The harm the moderate believes the fundementalist could potentially cause, it it something that the majority of people would agree is harmful?

Or are you as an individual feeling it could be harmful, because it goes against your beliefs?
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 04:09 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:
You misunderstand, I'm saying that the morals that society already has should not be discarded by just anyone because they could make a mistake that harms the rest of society. So only a very few would be able to do it without making a mistake that could do more harm than good. For example it is taught universally that incest is immoral.

Yes it is! It (incest) is also illegal! What you are trying to say, igm, is that
the moral standards that are already in place and are accepted,
should be enforced, if necessary by society, right? All good on paper, but
how would you deal with the pillars of morality and society, i.e. the clergy
for instance, who discarded their own belief and moral code of ethics in order to obtain immoral and illegal pleasures? While they (clergy) impose their moral beliefs onto others, they - at the same time, take advantage of it, don't they?
wayne

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 04:11 pm
@igm,
You seem unwilling to accept morality as being subjective.
Your "moral compass" is a product of societal ethics and taboos, it is entirely subject to the mores of the society of which you are a part.

In regard to your original question, the answer anyone might give is subject to their own societal mores. The early churches deemed themselves morally correct imposing their values on others, convert or die.
In short, the conditions are set by ones society and vary from one to the next.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 04:14 pm
Rereading the thread, I see I'm not a fish out of philosophical water here, so I may post again.

0 Replies

igm

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 04:15 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

igm wrote:

For example: a moderate or someone with different beliefs deciding whether to confront a fundamentalist when that fundamentalist obviously doesn’t want the person’s opinion. The moderate believes that the fundamentalist’s beliefs have the potential to harm others either directly or indirectly. The exchange could inflame the situation.

What is your definition of "harm"?

The harm the moderate believes the fundementalist could potentially cause, it it something that the majority of people would agree is harmful?

Or are you as an individual feeling it could be harmful, because it goes against your beliefs?

No I am not speaking for myself. It's what the majority would agree was harmful.

Some would say it is always immoral to force ones opinions on others even if it leads to those others not knowing or being unclear about both sides of a crucial argument.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 04:16 pm
@igm,
No, this is an open forum, within terms of service.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 04:17 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Sometimes a well hewn set of ethics can be reactive to the taught moral compass, so that the described compass is a trigger for disagreement. Whether the person would get to the ethics without that trigger, I would guess often. Moral ownership is problematic.

Otherwise, the taught moral compass can be a major impediment to anyone who will start to venture into ethics, i.e., thinking.

I'm out of my league here, so won't post further. I'm also not a buddhist, but usually understand JLN.

Thanks you make a good point!
0 Replies

igm

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 04:23 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

igm wrote:

Yes it is! It (incest) is also illegal! What you are trying to say, igm, is that
the moral standards that are already in place and are accepted,
should be enforced, if necessary by society, right?

No I'm not saying that; I'm asking others to give their opinion on it. Thanks for yours. That's why the title is a question. People who abuse others are universally thought of as immoral. No need to enforce that we all believe don't we?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 04:26 pm
@CalamityJane,
Even this (incest) is arguable, say, for older cousins or even older brothers and sisters, let's say, pushing sixty, given some discussions in parts of threads on a2k.
I'm not for this, but I'm not all agog either. I see the incest thing as a biological 'imperative' that worked out as cultural, but I know some very upright religious folk who married first cousins. Not that I know all about incest in animals through the ages and whether or not it was an animal no no. So I'll amend that to say it was taken as a biological imperative.
igm

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 04:30 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

You seem unwilling to accept morality as being subjective.
Your "moral compass" is a product of societal ethics and taboos, it is entirely subject to the mores of the society of which you are a part.

In regard to your original question, the answer anyone might give is subject to their own societal mores. The early churches deemed themselves morally correct imposing their values on others, convert or die.
In short, the conditions are set by ones society and vary from one to the next.

Personally I believe it’s hard to argue that everything isn’t subjective. Nevertheless it seems human beings universally recognize some behaviors as immoral. They can ignore them but they seem to remain even if ignored.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 04:37 pm
@igm,
Calling incest immoral is a mistake. In terms of biology, incest can create problems for the offspring. However, there are many marriages between blood relatives.

I do not believe anyone outside the relationship can consider personal choices as immoral.
igm

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 04:39 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Even this (incest) is arguable, say, for older cousins or even older brothers and sisters, let's say, pushing sixty, given some discussions in parts of threads on a2k.
I'm not for this, but I'm not all agog either. I see the incest thing as a biological 'imperative' that worked out as cultural, but I know some very upright religious folk who married first cousins. Not that I know all about incest in animals through the ages and whether or not it was an animal no no. So I'll amend that to say it was taken as a biological imperative.

How would society benefit by discarding it? To say it's immoral is a good enough starting point. If you want to break that secular moral code, okay it won't be intrinsically immoral but it would be seen by the majority as immoral until such time as the majority decide it isn't.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 04:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Calling incest immoral is a mistake. In terms of biology, incest can create problems for the offspring. However, there are many marriages between blood relatives.

I do not believe anyone outside the relationship can consider personal choices as immoral.

Can you suggest a better example?
Krumple

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 05:15 pm
@igm,
igm wrote:
So would you conclude that any attempt at imposition is immoral and the alternative is reasoned argument in all cases where reasoned argument is possible and if not then wait for the law to be broken if that person’s action lead to breaking the law?

Well here is where it gets a little tricky. I would have to ask, is the law a moral one? For example, I personally don't think using drugs is an immoral thing so the law forbidding the use of drugs is already found to be an immoral one by me. So if you were to try and persuade a person to refrain from using drugs then yes the imposed belief with a sound based argument would be immoral.

However; this would change if we were to talk about murder. But I also have a rather radical view on laws to begin with. I think imposing a law to refrain from murdering fellow humans is actually problematic. It imposes a moral choice onto society when society should be making up it's own mind. This actually prevents society from actually acting moral and instead they just follow the law to avoid the punishment.

A lot of people don't avoid murdering someone because it is immoral, instead they avoid it because they don't want to be punished for the crime. But are there not times when murder is not immoral? I would have to argue yes but I would have to get into how that is possible and would probably make this longer than it needs to be.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 05:37 pm
@igm,
That is the "best" example. It's up to you to challenge it with whatever reasoning you can find.

Many christians say that homosexuality is immoral. Why? Two people in love can decide what kind of relationship they wish regardless of how others look upon them. Why is "love" immoral?
JLNobody

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2011 07:56 pm
Incest is a great example of the subjectivity--I should cultural nature of morality--in many societies it is forbidden to marry or have sex with a first cousin. In some societies marriage with a first cross-cousin is the ideal match. A first cross-cousin is one who's parent is the sibling of your parent of the opposite sex. I would be encouraged to marry the daughter of the sister of my father if we lived in a patrilineal society wherein lineage membership is traced through males. I would be discouraged from marrying the daughter of the brother of my father in such a society because my cousin and I would be members of the same patrilineal society. THAT would be incest in such a society. Even though in both cases my cousin and I are of equal genetic distance. In such societies groups (lineages) are what count, not individual distance.

Igm, I don't disagree with all your points. I think that all societies have moral codes because they need them--to provide gross standards for behavior, just as we see our need for legal systems for social order and behavioral regulation. My point referred to you and me as individuals. I wouldn't want to live in an amoral or anarchistic society, But at the same time I wouldn't want to marry a woman who was "moralistic", who, instead applying her intelligence to the solution of ethical problems just looked to some moral book of standard operating procedures, or went to her minister or priest to decide for her. Ugh.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 09:12:18