consistently = ?

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:26 am

Context:

Precision Gene Targeting in Stem Cells Corrects Disease-Causing Mutations

ScienceDaily (July 27, 2011) — Using two distinct methods, Whitehead Institute researchers have successfully and consistently manipulated targeted genes in both human embryonic stem (ES) cells and induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells (adult cells that have been reprogrammed to an embryonic stem cell-like state).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 485 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:29 am
It means that not only have they successfully manipulated the targeted genes, but they have done it repeatedly. It is significant because ite means that their successful manipulation is not an anomaly, but is evidence of their method being right, their method being justified by the repeated successes--the consistent successes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 09:33 am
Let me give you an analogy. If i am shooting a basketball (attempting to throw it through the rim and the net) and i can shoot the ball successfully from 30 feet away, that can be seen as evidence only of luck. But if i can do it repeatedly from 30 feet away, if i can do it consistently, then i have demonstrated that my technique, my method, is a sound one, a reliable method. (To reliably shoot a basketball, you want to hold the ball on the tips of your fingers, and not the palm of your hand--you'll have better control, and you'll be less likely to shoot too hard, causing the ball to bounde out of the rim--which, of course, has nothing to do with your question about English.)
contrex

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 12:00 pm
Of course, everybody in the world is familiar with, and cares about, American sports.
Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 12:08 pm
@contrex,
Felt you hadn't demonstrated what an asshole you are recently? Basketball is a very familiar sport in China, wanker.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 07:27 pm
@Setanta,
Excellent!
Thank you Set.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 08:39 pm
@contrex,
Invented by Canadian doctor, James Naismith.

0 Replies