Chinese High Speed Rail kills at least Scores

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 04:08 pm
@TheSubliminalKid,
There are a wide variety of reasons for why cultures become what they are. Archaeological evidence of cultural artifacts, and the lingustic evidence is that the Japanese and Koreans were originally Altaic people, closely related to the Turks. They owe a big cultural debt to the other east Asians, especially the Chinese, for obvious reaons--but what a culture becomes is determined by factors which are almost always unique in the experience of the people involved.

The archaological evidence of Japanese culture is impressive. When virtually every culture outside Africa used storage pits (there is little to no evidence of long-term food storage in Africa), the Japanese were using above ground storage facilities. It appears that they invented pottery. The oldest Japanese ceramics are older than those in China by more than 2000 years. It appears that this, among other cultural successes (such as large scale exploitation of the ocean as a food source), lead to significant population growth thousands of years ago--perhaps as much as 8000 or 9000 years ago. The Japanese have lived at the very edge of their food resources throughout their history, once again, for thousands of years. While this is somewhat true of the Chinese, China (not yet known as China) underwent large scale warfare for control of the rice producing areas beginning more than 3000 years ago. Such warfare never occured among the Japanese. Ceratainly they were warlike, but the evidence from the pre-historical eras, and in the historical era (since 500 CE) is that there were no large scale, prolonged was in Japan until quite recently. The first such protracted warfare was in the Sengoku period, roughly from 1550 to 1600. That "warring states" period ended with the establishment of the Tokugawa shogunate. Early in the 17th century, the meticulous records of the shogunate show a population of 30,000,000 Japanese, producing 25,000,000 koku of rice per annum. Although there is disagreement over exactly how much rice a koku was, all authoritative sources agree that it was sufficient rice to feed an adult male for one year (the majority view is that it was about 172 liters). So, with either inferential or incomplete evidence before the 17th century, the evidence since the foundation of the Tokugawa shogunate is that they were living at the very edge of their capacity to feed themselves, as seems to have always been the case.

This has been accomplished (living in a sense from hand to mouth, and without major conflict for most of their history) because of a carefully crafted social system based on behavioral consensus. There is no evidence that there was ever a temple society phase in their cultural development (temple societies produced the civilizations of Egypt, Mesopotamia and the Indus River valley, as well as the pacific coast of South America and the central Mexican plateau). Neither was there a temple society phase in China, but there, the need for a priesthood was obviated by the development of an established bureaucracy, which became the Mandarins. No such device was ever used in Japan. It appears that the Japanese developed a modus vivendi thousands of years ago, and have succesffully maintained it ever since. That is how a nation in which the population was always crowded into all the available agrarian space and living at the edge of its means has survived. In Japanese society, thousands of years ago, the farmer held the highest social status in society after the aristocracy and the Bushi, the warrior class. Artisans, merchants and "hewers of wood and drawers of water" were the lowest orders, and were looked down upon by the aristocracy, the warrior class and the farmers.

The Japanese are a fascinating study, and i have always admired them, and admire them all the more as i learn more about them.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 04:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Something to keep in mind as Spain cascades closer to default, and the EU members continue to expect Spain to suck it up and drive on for the good of the EU.

Gee that's relevant. I take it you don't like the EU? Well what's it got to do with you? Spain is quite pro-European, lots of European money went into Spain when they first joined. They really don't need a misguided buffoon as their cheerleader.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 04:23 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Spain is quite pro-European, lots of European money went into Spain when they first joined.
Lots of money went to Ireland and Greece as well, but that did not prevent the Irish from throwing a wrench into the EU workings when it came time to approve a constitution, or the Greeks for multiple scams of the EU. If that is the reason you have faith in Spain then I suggest that you dont understand how the world works.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 04:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
That's rich coming from you.
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 05:18 pm
@izzythepush,
Ever heard the expression invincible ignorance?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 07:48 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Ever heard the expression invincible ignorance?
I at least have the decency to attempt to explain to you where I think you are wrong....it does not surprise me that you cant rise to the occasion, seeing as how you fail at civility 101 over and over and over....
izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 02:21 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

seeing as how you fail at civility 101 over and over and over....

Is that a board game?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 02:30 am
@hawkeye10,
You don't really understand what is going on outside America. I suspect that you're similarly deluded about your own domestic politics, but I don't know enough about that to comment with any authority. Fm and Setanta are doing a pretty good job of exposing your ignorance though.

You seem to think that the Euro and the EU are synonymous, that if the Euro is abandoned, say in Greece, in favour of the Drachma, this will mean the collapse of the EU. It won't, no matter how much you wish for it.

Regarding the Euro, before it was introduced I spoke to a friend of mine who is a Historian. He thought it wouldn't work. He said that Charlemagne attempted to do the same thing, but the currency ended up being worth more in the North than in the South. It looks like a similar thing is happening now. Perhaps Setanta would like to comment. I'm sure he knows a lot more about Charlemagne, than you do about tying your own shoelaces.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 04:05 am
@hawkeye10,
You drop civility when you think it is inconvenient. I've demanded that you provide evidence for your specious, often silly claims, and that eventually creates the situations in which you lose your civility. Pressed for evidence, you come up with bullshit excuses, or unrelated links, as though merely providing a link meets the burden of proof. When you bullshit about history, or ethnology, or geography, then i do point out specifically where and why you're wrong. A glaring example is the bullshit you try to peddle about the causes of the American civil war. I've pointed out time and again that the South started the war, long before Lincoln was inaugurated, and i've listed the specific actions which they took to attack the United States. They started the war, got their military asses handed to them, and they've been whining about it ever since. I have in the past provided links to the evidence about Secretary of War Floyd illegally shipping arms to the South in 1860 (before Lincoln was even elected) from the St. Louis Armory, and the attacks on Federal installation by "state troops" of Florida and Alabama from the University of South Florida. I hardly think it necessary to link evidence for the attack on Star of the West, an unarmed merchant ship on January 9, 1861.

I've pointed these things out and linked the evidence time and again for deluded individuals here, including you. There is a point past which i won't continue to play your stupid games. I've "risen to the occasion" to just as great an extent as you ever do in the way of explaining why you are wrong, and usually more so--and it's a waste of time.

Piss off, wanker.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 12:07:59