Safe playgrounds are bad for our children

Linkat

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:43 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well I'm not nearly as balanced as sozobe and besides yelling at old ladies that push my daughter's carriage, I haven't been too overprotective.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:44 pm
@raprap,
Good, because I plan to make my kids life a living h*ll.
roger

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:46 pm
@Linkat,
Don't forget who is going to decide on your nursing home when you get older.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:53 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Don't forget who is going to decide on your nursing home when you get older.
TigerMoms dont seem too concerned about this, they know their kids will be well trained to treat them right....
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:54 pm
@raprap,
Quote:
The worst thing you can do for your children is to make their lives too easy.
That is not a good deed, modern parents only think that it is.
Linkat

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:54 pm
@roger,
True - maybe I can bribe them with my inhertitance - make them think if they care for me correctly I will leave them loaded.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 02:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Plus, I suspect women are genetically predisposed to tell guys that they should have kids and that it will all be fine am determined not to fall prey to this biological trap. :-)

I would never tell anyone to have kids when they said they didn't want them. I was not naturally predisposed to be a parent and everyone told me I'd change my mind. The only thing that changed my mind was having Mo show up on my doorstep for keeps. I was absolutely terrified. I still am. But I'm getting better.
Linkat

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 03:18 pm
@boomerang,
Ha, when I left the hospital with my first. I looked up at the nurse and thought about saying - you really trust me to take care of this little creature? I had my doubts - but she seemed to have done ok even with me as a mom.
boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 03:25 pm
@Linkat,
I'd say she was incredibly lucky to have you as a mom!

I can't even imagine being trusted with an infant.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2011 04:15 pm
@hawkeye10,

Quote:
The worst thing you can do for your children is to make their lives too easy.
hawkeye10 wrote:
That is not a good deed, modern parents only think that it is.
As an ex-kid: I DISSENT!
I 'm glad that I had it as ez as possible.
I woud not change THAT!

David
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:13 pm
There was no such thing as a playground , in the suburb where I grew up.
We got by with trees, creeks, pastures, horse barns, rolling down hills in barrels.
I can remember having to hide a pronounced limp from my Mother, more than once.
Someone, in the neighborhood gang, was always nursing an injury, so it seemed.
Still, the greatest danger, in our playground, was the older kids.
That was the danger that created track stars.
roger

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:17 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

That was the danger that created track stars.

Always that silver lining, eh Wayne.
wayne

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:24 pm
@roger,
If you were lucky, you got a warning call ( Nyah Scump!!) before the artillery shells ( hedge balls ) started raining down.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 08:40 pm
My brother was playing a scratch game of football, and was taken down on a grassy clump which turned out to be a hole, with a broken bottle in it. He had a gash about four inches long in his leg, but the worst part was that it had ripped his new blue jeans. So everyone pitched in and they scraped up enough to buy him another pair, and got a ride to the nearest town where they could be purchased (the little town we lived in was too small). He, too, had to hide a limp--but the one thought which occured to all of us was that he'd be in big trouble for ripping his new blue jeans.

Several yearrs later, my sister and i were riding around with our cousin, who was about 20 or 21--we had been sent of to get us "out from under foot." As was the case with cars from that era--her's was used, a '59 Chevy i think--there was a bench seat in the front, with my cousin driving, my sister in the middle and me sitting by the door. I was fooling around absent-mindedly with the door handle (my cousin and sister were talking "girl" bullshit), when she took a corner sharply, the dcor popped open and i was being dragged, just holding on by the arm rest. She kind of panicked and hit the gas, but eventually got it stopped. I had a road burn which had worn away the length of my jeans on the right thigh, and raw meat underneath. At first, we collapsed in helpless, nervous laughter. Then a farmer who had seen the incident put some goop on my leg and wrapped it up with some "first aid" stuff he carried for his livestock. Then we went out to find a pair of jeans for me, so no one would know and we wouldn't get in trouble.
chai2

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 09:05 pm
Wally said when he was a kid he and his brothers and sisters would bend the metal coffee can lids and use them as spear heads and arrows on each other. The neighborhood boys were all scared of Ruth because she had a dead eye chuckin' rocks.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 09:07 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Next time, try pledge .... works great for increasing speed!

And no waxy buildup on your butt!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2011 09:20 pm
@chai2,
I remember my/our playground in 1951 as scary city, but I was new. In my child's eye view and perhaps now too, when I know a lot more, the swings were maniacally high - and the landing was asphalt. On the other hand, that is where Sister Mel took the whole class out to play softball baseball (instead of some other class, like math, but she was a very good teacher) in the spring. Well, over in the gravel area.

There were good and bad aspects to this. Me, I was a good player in the neighborhood and froze in those class outings.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 08:00 am
@wayne,
canadian folk singer bob snider has a great tune about the death of the meadow

Parkette

When I was a kid, I found a
robin's egg and hid it on a
timber in an old abandoned shack

that was sitting in a field
full of raspberry bushes
with a crab apple tree around the back.

And a stream going by
at the bottom of a hill
with a rock in the middle
and if you sat still

You could see the minnows swimming
from an overhanging limb
you could listen to the heat bug trill.

And early every day
all my friends and I would play
digging holes and finding gold
among the rocks.

And looking for salamanders,
and eating all the berries,
and rolling down the hill in a box.

Until on day they came with their machinery
and dozed down the shack
and hacked up the greenery
and stuffed the steam in a concrete pipe
and leveled the hill away.

And then they built a couple of mounds,
to make it look round,
and brought in loads of sod.
And planted a row of tress
that came up to our knees;
without a speck of shade it looked so odd.

And there were no more dragon flies
and no cray fishin;
and they called it a Parkette
after a politician

And put up a sign
saying no ball playing
and nobody ever went there anymore.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 08:24 am
@Questioner,
Questioner wrote:

Right, which reflects more on parental over-protectiveness and asinine entitlement than anything else.

^ that is exactly what is plaguing this country.

Quote:

We're raising a generation of people that won't know how to react in situations we take for granted now because mother and father always held their hand through every pitfall, and blamed all misfortune that befell them on others.

^ and it creates people like that. People who need to be told every second of the day that they are 'doing something good', can not take criticism and fully expect to remain employed (for example) while putting in only 1/2 the effort because it is ' at least the best i can do'...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 01:06 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
My brother was playing a scratch game of football, and was taken down on a grassy clump which turned out to be a hole, with a broken bottle in it. He had a gash about four inches long in his leg, but the worst part was that it had ripped his new blue jeans. So everyone pitched in and they scraped up enough to buy him another pair, and got a ride to the nearest town where they could be purchased (the little town we lived in was too small). He, too, had to hide a limp--but the one thought which occured to all of us was that he'd be in big trouble for ripping his new blue jeans.

Several yearrs later, my sister and i were riding around with our cousin, who was about 20 or 21--we had been sent of to get us "out from under foot." As was the case with cars from that era--her's was used, a '59 Chevy i think--there was a bench seat in the front, with my cousin driving, my sister in the middle and me sitting by the door. I was fooling around absent-mindedly with the door handle (my cousin and sister were talking "girl" bullshit), when she took a corner sharply, the dcor popped open and i was being dragged, just holding on by the arm rest. She kind of panicked and hit the gas, but eventually got it stopped. I had a road burn which had worn away the length of my jeans on the right thigh, and raw meat underneath. At first, we collapsed in helpless, nervous laughter. Then a farmer who had seen the incident put some goop on my leg and wrapped it up with some "first aid" stuff he carried for his livestock. Then we went out to find a pair of jeans for me, so no one would know and we wouldn't get in trouble.
Well, with your reputation for misrepresentation, I 'm not gonna believe that.
It sounds like a "cock & bull" story, bragging of your strength
in hanging on. I don 't believe that ANYTHING u say is credible.

Its probably just more of Setanta lies.

David
0 Replies