Oryx & Crake

msolga

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 10:50 pm
I've just finished Margaret Atwood's last novel, Oryx & Crake.
Has anyone else here read it?
If so, what's your reaction?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,767 • Replies: 50
No top replies

Adrian

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 11:22 pm
It's next on my list, so I'll let you know in about a week. If I get time that is, work is about to become crazy busy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 04:30 am
Oh good, Adrian, I'll look forward to that!
But surely I can't be the only one @ A2K to have read it so far????
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 03:38 pm
Oryx and Crake
I like Atwood, but couldn't get into this one. I still think "The Handmaid's Tales" is her best.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 03:42 pm
I have an iffy relationship with Atwood -- some books of hers I love, others make me highly agitato. I've been watching this one (reading reviews et al) and can't tell yet which it will be, so will read this thread with interest.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 04:27 pm
tomkitten

It took me a while to get around to Oryx & Crake, too. But I guess I read it out of loyalty as I really admire Atwood a lot. Actually it turned out to be a pretty easy read, which is not what I'd expected. Admittedly I wasn't as engrossed in this one as say, Cat's Eye, or Alias Grace, but I found it interesting never the less.
I was interested in what Snowmanan, the main character, would make of the complete destruction of the world as he'd known it, how he would survive in this new world & protect the innocent, green eyed children of Crake from the dangers surrounding them. Very much a morality/warning tale, minus the moralising. Intriguing.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 04:32 pm
sozobe wrote:
I have an iffy relationship with Atwood -- some books of hers I love, others make me highly agitato. I've been watching this one (reading reviews et al) and can't tell yet which it will be, so will read this thread with interest.

That's interesting, sozobe. Whicd did you love & which made you agitated? I'm curious.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 04:36 pm
Hoo boy. Let's see if I can remember.

"Surfacing" is one of my favorites for the writing and emotional complexity.

"Cat's Eye" made a big impression on me in terms of subject matter (female friendships).

I liked "Handmaid's Tale", but it was a bit too heavy-handed for me. I think that could be partly that it hasn't aged well.

What was the one she wrote before "Alias Grace"? (I haven't read AG yet.) It bothered me, showy and "Feminist" in a way that was too... what... overwrought? Something.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 04:51 pm
Oryx and Crake
I found Alias Grace slow going. Perhaps Atwood's style has evolved into something a bit heavier than her earlier books which are the ones I prefer.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 05:11 pm
sozobe

Was it The Robber Bride?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 05:14 pm
Re: Oryx and Crake
Tomkitten wrote:
I found Alias Grace slow going. Perhaps Atwood's style has evolved into something a bit heavier than her earlier books which are the ones I prefer.

tomkitten

I think her books have become more complex with time. The earlier ones were much more accessible.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2004 05:32 pm
Here's a review of Oryx & Crake for anyone whose interested:

http://www.bookreporter.com/reviews/0385503857.asp
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 09:10 pm
Well, I finally got around to reading it. Not impressed. This is the first Atwood book I've read, my other half is a fan and convinced me to give this one a go, and I don't think I'll try another any time soon. 400 pages to tell a simple tale about the end of the world. It could have made a pretty good novella but as is, it's just long, boring and predictable. The ending was the worst though, made me quite angry when I realised that NOTHING was going to happen.

Double thumbs down from me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 10:53 pm
Adrian

I was QUITE so negative about it, though it definitely was not her best, in my opinion. Her other novels are FAR superior to this one.
Thanks for your response. We may be the only 2 people on the planet to have read it! Laughing
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 11:05 pm
I'm going to try and forget about it. In a few months I will give The Handmaidens Tale a try. I've heard that it's much better.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2004 11:11 pm
Yes, it's good. I think you might like it. A lot more going on & more to think about.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 12:12 am
I misread the title of this thread. I thought it said Onyx and Crack

I thought, "Oh great, now what did that girl get herself into?"

Ok.... back to your conversation. Sorry for barging in.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 12:17 am
A perfectly understandable mistake, gus ..... No need to apologise. Very Happy
By the way, are you a keen reader?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 01:00 am
Quote:
By the way, are you a keen reader
?

What do you need to know, grasshopper?