Inheritance

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:25 pm
Last September, a cousin a few years younger than me, left me a few dollars in his will. My aunt and my other cousin are handling the estate. Most everyone is getting a percentage, me I was willed a certain amount. When I went on the internet to check what is going on with the house it says the house is off the market. Someone I know told me yesterday that since I was willed a certain amount and not a percentage that I should have received my inheritance by now. This is all new to me and my aunt rarely talks to me so I am in no hurry to contact her. A copy of my cousin's will was sent to me months ago. Do I need to do anything or just be patient? I'm disabled on Social Security and could use the money! I live in Maryland. Thanks for any help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,703 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 12:31 pm
CALL and ask about the inheritance. Perhaps they are settleing the estate and won't make the distributions until all the funds are gathered. (How do you know the money is even there to distribute to you) If it is waiting for the house to be sold, then you need to know what they are doing to get it sold.

Your inheritance MAY impact your social security disability. Be sure you find out.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:05 pm
@PUNKEY,
Check out this link. I hope it's helpful.

http://damox.com/legal/estate-inheritance-settlement.htm
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:20 pm
@PUNKEY,
Probably so. I think the estate must somehow liquidate assets and pay all bills including taxes and attorney fees before there can be a disbursement.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 01:30 pm
I don't want to alarm anyone, but probate can take years.
0 Replies