judge not not lest ye be judged...

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 03:46 pm
in christianity, judging someone is considered to be an awful sin.
but is it not impossible to avoid it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,067 • Replies: 18
No top replies

raprap

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 03:50 pm
@hamilton,
That was the backward part of the phrase that was tattooed on Indian Larry's neck. He was quoted that the reason it was backwards so he could read it when he looked in a mirror.

Rap
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 03:56 pm
@hamilton,
Lots of things are sins in Christianity. And not sinning is not its point (as I understood it).
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 04:34 pm
@hamilton,
Maybe you are not understanding the context? It is talking about not judging hypocritically. It says to take the beam out of your own eye before you try to remove the speck from someone else's. We make judgements every single day between right and wrong. It is not talking about judging someone to hell. It is talking about judging whether is something is right or wrong according to scripture. We should always look to ourselves first to make sure we are not in the wrong before we accuse another.

For instance, if I was walking around cussing at people I surely would have no standing to accuse you of cussing.
hamilton

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 04:40 pm
@Arella Mae,
hmmm.... there's another question. why are people hypocrites?
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 05:09 pm
@hamilton,
Good question. You tell me. I'm sure everybody has had a hypocritical moment or two in their lives. Sometimes I think people do it and don't even realize they are doing it. The more I study the Bible and learn the more I am able to see those flaws in me that need to be corrected.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 06:22 pm
This phrase is from the words of Jesus. You are suppose to ignore them (if you are a Christian).

Jesus also said to love your enemies, to not resist when people rob you and to sell your things to give to the poor. These are the opposite of what real Christians do.

If you are a true Christian you are will be trying to ensure gun rights, stopping welfare programs, and making sure that gays can't get married.

hamilton

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 06:28 pm
@maxdancona,
my Christianity does not go that far.
0 Replies

hamilton

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 06:42 pm
@Arella Mae,
...human nature...??? maybe?
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 06:44 pm
@hamilton,
I'm sure that has something to do with it.
hamilton

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 06:45 pm
@Arella Mae,
ok, ummm...
human corruption, blindness to our wrongs.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2011 06:50 pm
@hamilton,
I don't think anyone really wants to look at themselves and see wrong but it's very common that we hate the things in others that we hate in ourselves.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 09:19 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
If you are a true Christian you are will be trying to ensure gun rights, stopping welfare programs, and making sure that gays can't get married.

If this is true you can count me out!
I am so happy that I am not an absolutist! Very Happy
Absolutist are the founders of the multiple religions and the list keeps growing! I wonder why?

JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 03:48 pm
@reasoning logic,
Right on!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 03:48 pm
@reasoning logic,
Right on!
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2011 11:23 pm
The bible is all about forgiveness. It's about Jesus dying so our sins can be forgiven. It's about us forgiving others because we have forgiveness. To do the opposite seems hypocritical.
Judgement doesn't seem to be in keeping with forgiveness.
We're not perfect/sinless. When we pick up that stone to throw at another in judgement because they have sinned then aren't we in essence judging ourselves? Aren't we agreeing with the law that states the wages of sin is death. But christians aren't under that law, they are under grace- God's forgiveness. As such they are expected to extend that grace to others.
Matt 18: 23-35 There is the story Jesus told of the man who owed a great deal of money to a king. When the king demanded what he was due the man begged for patience in repaying the debt. The king was moved with compassion and forgave the debt. When the man went home he then demanded payment of a debt owed to him by one of his peers. The person could not pay and he begged the man for patience but the man showed him no mercy. When the king heard what the man had done the king asked the man why he had not shown the same compassion to his debtor that the king had shown him. The king then had the compassionless man thrown into prison until he could repay all he owed to the king.

Without forgiveness there can be no peace. Without peace there can be no love.

hamilton

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 09:30 am
@auroreII,
wrong! WRONG!
peace without forgiveness is right, but are you saying there is no love in the world?
you may want to look at this topic fresco made.
wrong! WRONG!
peace without forgiveness is right, but are you saying there is no love in the world?
you may want to look at this topic I made.
http://able2know.org/topic/153738-1
also, the bible is not just about jesus this, jesus that. there's alot of stuff after him dieing without mentioning him, and also, the old testament, which is IN the bible, is not about jesus. in fact, jews have it in the Torah, and they definitely don't believe in Jesus.
also, the bible is not just about jesus this, jesus that. there's alot of stuff after him dieing without mentioning him, and also, the old testament, which is IN the bible, is not about jesus. in fact, jews have it in the Torah, and they definitely don't believe in Jesus.
auroreII

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 03:37 pm
@hamilton,
No I don't think I'm saying there is no love in the world. How you respond to an unjust situation can make the difference in whether love and peace are restored. Doesn't it all go back to forgiveness. Can you say you love someone if you haven't forgiven them or you bear a grudge against them? And where's the peace in that ?(peace in your soul or peace of mind) ?

"the bible is not just about jesus this, jesus that. ..and also, the old testament, which is IN the bible, is not about jesus. in fact, jews have it in the Torah, and they definitely don't believe in Jesus."
Jesus was a Jew..he followed and encouraged others to follow the laws God gave to the Jews. I believe the Jews don't necessarily believe in Jesus, but I believe that they believe in a savior and they talk about this savior's coming in the old testament. Christians believe Jesus is that savior.

hamilton

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2011 04:18 pm
@auroreII,
auroreII wrote:

No I don't think I'm saying there is no love in the world.
Quote:
Without forgiveness there can be no peace. Without peace there can be no love.

are you saying the world is completely at PEACE????
well, not completely, but there i heard somewhere (dont ask where. i dont remember) not to think of history as peace with outbreaks of war, but as war with outbreaks of peace. i think that the first part of this quote applies to our world today, and as you claimed that without peace, there is no love, i am inclined to disagree.
0 Replies