Favourite Anthologies

djjd62

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 04:24 pm
a few days ago i mentioned the passing of Editor Martin H Greenberg, it got me thinking, what are some of your favourite anthologies or short story collections

as stated in that thread Greenberg's, After The King anthology was a fave of mine
http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/t0/t2592.jpg

another was Robert Silverberg's Legends
http://media.us.macmillan.com/jackets/500H/9780765300355.jpg
Stephen King: "The Little Sisters of Eluria" (The Dark Tower)
Terry Goodkind: "Debt of Bones" (The Sword of Truth)
Orson Scott Card: "Grinning Man" (The Tales of Alvin Maker)
Robert Silverberg: "The Seventh Shrine" (Majipoor)
Ursula K. Le Guin: "Dragonfly" (Earthsea)
Raymond E. Feist: "The Wood Boy" (The Riftwar Saga)
Terry Pratchett: "The Sea and Little Fishes" (Discworld)
George R. R. Martin: "The Hedge Knight" (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Tad Williams: "The Burning Man" (Memory, Sorrow and Thorn)
Anne McCaffrey: "Runner of Pern" (Dragonriders of Pern)
Robert Jordan: "New Spring" (The Wheel of Time)

Week End Wodehouse is another fine collection
http://covers.openlibrary.org/b/id/6634466-L.jpg
This title is presented with an introduction by Hilaire Belloc. 'P.G. Wodehouse remains the greatest chronicler of a certain kind of Englishness, that no one else has ever captured quite so sharply, or with quite as much wit and affection' - Julian Fellowes. "Weekend Wodehouse" - required reading at country house parties in the late Thirties - remains one of the best introductions to the work of PG Wodehouse. All the favourites are here: Drones Club stories, Mr Mullinger stories, and stories of Jeeves, Lord Amsworth and Ukridge.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,403 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 04:42 pm
@djjd62,
Jerry Pournelle has several serial anthologies going, and maybe still does. Basically science fiction/alternate history kinds of things. I have always though he was a better editor than writer, though teamed with Niven he cranked out some pretty good stories.
djjd62

Reply Mon 4 Jul, 2011 04:54 pm
@roger,
i feel the same about Asimov, i've never been able to get into his writing, but i loved his Before The Golden Age collection

Before the Golden Age: A Science Fiction Anthology of the 1930s is an anthology of 25 science fiction stories from 1930s pulp magazines edited by Isaac Asimov. It was first published in April 1974.

The anthology was inspired by a dream Asimov had on the morning of 3 April 1973. In his dream, Asimov had prepared an anthology of his favorite science fiction stories from the 1930s and was getting a chance to read them again. After waking, he told his fianceƩ Janet Jeppson about the dream, and she suggested that he actually do such an anthology. Doubleday agreed to publish the anthology, and Asimov's friend Sam Moskowitz provided him with copies of the relevant science fiction magazines. Asimov completed work on the anthology on 10 May.
The stories were selected by Asimov, and the main selection criterion was the degree to which they influenced him when he was growing up in the 1930s. The prefatory material and individual introductions to the stories fill in the details about the early life of the child prodigy, which effectively makes the volume an autobiographical prequel to his earlier collection The Early Asimov. The anthology also includes "Big Game", a story written by Asimov in 1941 and never sold.

The stories collected in the anthology, although they range in quality from embarrassing to very good, are of a kind rarely anthologized and provide a unique historical and cultural retrospective of the genre.

The anthology was first published as a large hardcover by Doubleday in 1974 and re-issued as three smaller paperbacks by Fawcett Books the following year. The series was re-issued multiple times in the period of 1975-1984 in sets of either three or four paperbacks. As of 2010, it is out of print.
0 Replies