We should let people rummage in dumps.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 05:43 pm
@patiodog,
I don't care, just don't give my crazed responses to someone else in your mind, or vice versa. I have trouble enough keeping them straight myself.
patiodog

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 05:45 pm
@ossobuco,
I may be short on the social skills, but I'm keeping it straight.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 05:51 pm
@patiodog,
Snorks.
(I don't think of you as short on social skills, and past that, I figure here is where you can relax. Ok, I hereby erase my last yammer and add some ice cream)
patiodog

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 05:55 pm
@ossobuco,
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff136/W-Steele/Snorks.gif?t=1254779803
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 08:07 pm
<starts flooding wisconsin with gelato, dealing with wet feet, is that ice house working?>

The guy that asked to go to the movies in seventh grade's father worked at the ice house. (Now I wish I knew more)
Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 09:42 am
FM's remark about anarobic (sp?) conditions in dumps makes me wonder if that is why middens hundreds and even thousands of years old yield so much information for archaeologists. Hey, Pennsylvania (Can't type for ****) Boy, you know anything about that?
patiodog

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 09:59 am
@Setanta,
I'm more confused because I'd'a figured that anaerobic conditions are good for preservation.

Unless it means all the stuff that's normally decomped sticks around longer, too.
Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 10:02 am
@patiodog,
Well, i thought that's what FM was sayin' . . . an' they find things like pollen and entire, preserved insect carcasses in middens. That was one of the big sources of confirmation for the idea that the climate of the northen hemisphere was very, very much warmer two and three thousand years ago. Maybe FM will come enlighten us . . . 'less he's out gettin' drunk with some strayin' Amish nymph . . .
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 10:26 am
@Setanta,
They eventually should uncover ancient Twinkies, still edible. Confused
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 10:27 am
I believe the shelf life of twinkies exceeds the half-life of uranium by orders of magnitude.
farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 10:54 am
@Setanta,
What they called "Dumps" the middens of older civilizations, were more Aerobic and would actually "compost" .Putrescible crap would be oxidized and would be mostly gone except for denser materials, ceramics, and metals . Most of the Roman and Med dumps were like this. Dumps of the sub saharan and Arabian peninsula would dessicate the stuff and lots would be preserved. Pollen is a substance that is retained after composting (even natural heating) and is a good indicator of climate and can be worked together with stuff like remnant magnetics to calc ages
LANDFILLS, our more modern "containment vessels " were designed originally with a beliefe that the crap would be gone in a few decades and that just isnt the case. LAndfills, covered and sealed like crypts and not allowing any liquids to enter, can be taken apart and read like a book.

I was in a case where one of our "clients" mine dumps had been backfilled with trash from a western city. The city sued my client for operating an illegal landfill in an area that predated when the city began using the site. (The city took over the landfill site against my clients judgement, and they did it by condemnation and eminent domain) WE excavated that area (in a plan to rebury it in a designed "Cell") and found that the dates of the newspapers therein were of the date and later that included the citiy's own operation period. The city admitted to taking over the site in 1973 and we found plenty of 1973 newspapers in the contetsed area(It was kinda hard to bury **** in the future-even though the city's crack attorneys got themselves tied up in that kind of argument).
The city lost cause we went to court and they freaked and settled in order to preserve them having to pay even bigger reparations .
Then the city helped us to recoup all of our insurance money to pay us back for what we already spent. They were really good about helping us post facto.

A landfill is like a time capsule and the stuff therein has lots of stories it can tell, including whthere the landfill was accepting haz materials or had caused contamination.
farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 10:57 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I believe the shelf life of twinkies exceeds the half-life of uranium by orders of magnitude

You should do the math and I can guarantee an IG-NOBEL prize. I got connections.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2011 01:19 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

It was kinda hard to bury **** in the future

Ha!
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2011 08:32 am
Quote:
We should let people rummage in dumps.
They enter my property at their own risk... I'll shoot the bastards !!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 09:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
The guy that asked to go to the movies in seventh grade's father worked at the ice house. (Now I wish I knew more)

Ain't the ice house where they kept bodies until they could be dealt with?
farmerman

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 09:55 pm
@patiodog,
Quote:

The father of the guy who asked me to go to the movies in the seventh grade, worked at the ICE HOUSE. Thats all I know for sure

Sometimes osso is sometimes difficult to understand so I am taking the liberty to restructure her sentence so that it makes some damn sense. I was sitting here and it took me about 2 minutes to figger it out. Osso, ever hear of punctuation??
patiodog

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2011 10:04 pm
@farmerman,
Oh, I just took it as:

(The-guy-who-asked-me-to-go-to-the-movies-in-the-seventh-grade)'s father worked at the ice house.

But I think Ms Buco and I might approach reality from a similarly oblique angle.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2011 08:35 am
@farmerman,
Good God !! Are we to take grammar and spelling lessons from Gomer Geo ???
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 06:13 am
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

Quote:

Ain't the ice house where they kept bodies until they could be dealt with?

No. the ice house is where the giant ice blocks were stored, before they were delivered to homes, bars, etc.
patiodog

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 09:06 am
@Miller,
Ergo it was cold, and I'm pretty sure was used as an ad hoc morgue...