Could You Be Founder of The Next Great Religion

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 02:35 pm
Create Your Own Religion Competition
www.huffingtonpost.com
Now you can be the next Jesus, the next Buddha, or even the next L. Ron Hubbard. Sign up now to create-your-own religion. You name it, write down the beliefs, rituals, and holidays. We will then post the best submissions on our site and allow you to compete for followers. ..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 765 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 03:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
You missed this story, same edition:

Shark Jumps Over Surfer: Crazy Clip Captures Fish Out Of Water

The craziest thing about this video might be that the cameraman didn't even know it happened.

Jacob Langston, a photographer for The Orlando Sentinel, accidentally took this video last week while he was taping surfers at New Smyrna Beach in Florida. While he didn't see the shark jump himself, his camera did.

According to Yahoo Sports, the fish is likely a four-foot spinner shark, a species that is common in the area.

"They are pretty common at the inlet," Langston told Yahoo. "People get photos of them all the time jumping out of the water. The surfers knew immediately what it was."

But the experience of having a shark jump over you is nonetheless rare. Catching it on camera is even more miraculous.

Video:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/27/shark-jumps-over-surfer-video_n_885179.html?ir=Canada

-------

Oh, and by the way, I don't want to be the founder of a religion. Wink Laughing
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 03:27 pm
@Reyn,
I posted a video of that on the other thread. Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 03:43 pm
Apparently, a religion need not be deist-centered. There is one person out there that has founded his own church, for the purpose of doing good works for free. Never an exchange of money, unless the recipient of said good work feels moved to donate some.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 04:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
Maybe we are just a computer simulation. Compelling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ucqYJzK1rk
Reyn

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 04:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I posted a video of that on the other thread. Smile

Yes and no. Laughing

Quote:
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Orlando Sentinel Communications.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 07:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Apparently, a religion need not be deist-centered. There is one person out there that has founded his own church, for the purpose of doing good works for free. Never an exchange of money, unless the recipient of said good work feels moved to donate some.

Of course, I overlooked Buddhism and the other godless belief systems. Shows how steeped in Christian thought I am.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 07:10 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Maybe we are just a computer simulation. Compelling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ucqYJzK1rk

Like any other concept of a god, we still have no verification. Only speculation.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 07:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Speculation is all we'll ever have, but I find the idea of us all
being part of a computer simulation and some cosmic nerd
sitting at his computer desk controlling the simulation a lot
more appealing than some bearded guy sitting on a throne
lording it over the lot of us.
But it's like the ants and us paradox, it's beyond them to understand
us and likewise for us to understand any higher intelligence.
An expression I like is " we can see further down the road", for instance
if we were somehow able to communicate to an ant that there was a storm
coming and a great flood, maybe tell him to build a boat Wink , well he might
think we're a god, whereas the truth is simply, we can see further down the road.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:01 pm
I recall a story on a radio program from my youth. Two scientists were able to create an evolving life system in a drop of water. It was a rapid evolution and soon human-type beings were developing civilization and advanced science. They invented a rocket designed to propel them into the vastness beyond their drop of water. All this against a backdrop of an approaching planetoid or something rushing at the Earth, bound to destroy it. The rocket became hung in the tension at the water surface. The astronauts were apparently doomed, until a scientist made an action that freed the rocket, allowing it to return in safety. This started the scientists to thinking. One began to shout for help against the approaching doom. "My voice is the loudest," said his friend. "Let me do the shouting."
eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 08:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's the answer to an imminent asteroid strike, send in
the loudest baritone on the planet..... Sorted.
0 Replies