I Loved Reading That TV Show

djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:46 pm
i was looking for a book a few minutes ago, and i noticed something, i have four books from fairly big tv events (Cosmos, The Ascent of Man, Civilization and The Ten Thousand Day War) and except for one (saw about three episodes of The Ten Thousand Day War) i've never seen any of the shows

i was alive when they were on tv, and i've read the books

anyone else have this experience, did you read Roots, but not see the Mini Series
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 6,385 • Replies: 11
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 09:54 am
@djjd62,
guess i'm all alone on this one
Irishk

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 10:19 am
@djjd62,
I haven't seen any of the Narnia films, but I've read the books. Same with Harry Potter.

I know there are more...have to think on it Smile
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 11:00 am
@djjd62,
Bronowski's The Ascent of Man was one of the most fascinating books that I have ever read. I felt no need to watch the TV series. The book itself is heavily illustrated.

I read Lois Duncan's teen novel I Know What You Did Last Summer. I never saw the movie. I read that Lois Duncan was unhappy with the movie version. Her novel was not at all about the "slasher" in the film.
djjd62

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 11:07 am
@wandeljw,
something else i noticed about the books i mentioned, the shows associated with them are all pre VHS

i wonder if people aren't as keen to read a book based on a major event (or vice versa) since anything on TV now can be recorded or purchased and viewed at any time
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 04:35 pm
@djjd62,
I'm probably about equal on that......if I like a series I will often read the book, if it precedes the TV version, as I assume it will be both richer and generally more accurate than the broadcast.

If I have liked a book I will give a TV or film version a go but I am not infrequently disappointed.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 07:15 pm
@djjd62,
Not being much of a television watcher, I missed this BBC series - The Shock of the New - when it was first broadcast in the early 1980s, but bought the book, because (like the tv series) it had received rave reviews & I was interested to see what all the fuss was about.

I wasn't disappointed! Shock was/still remains one of the most informative & exciting explorations of modern art I've ever come across. Brilliant, fantastic & so informative! I'm still reading my now quite tatty & worn copy to this day.

http://bks5.books.google.com/books?id=KQhhQgAACAAJ&printsec=frontcover&img=1&zoom=1&h=160

Of course, I eventually had to get my hands onto a copy of the tv series. Which I did - on VHS tapes - which have deteriorated so badly over time that they are now unwatchable. But I still have the book!

Quote:
THE SHOCK OF THE NEW: EPISODE GUIDE

Intelligent, gripping, innovative, Robert Hughes' eight-part exploration of modern art gets an airing on BBC Four. First shown on BBC Two in the 1980s, the series looks at different themes rather than presenting the art chronologically.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/features/shock-new-eps.shtml

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 09:07 pm
@msolga,
Thank you for that recommendation....I love Hughes.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2011 09:37 pm
@dlowan,
Hughes is an intelligent art historian who can get his point across without the need for intellectual smoke and mirrors.

One day, I'll return to his Goya biography and try again to reread it.

As for DJ's posting (and related to Mr. Hughes), I once had his hardcover book of American Visions: The Epic History of Art in America (1st edition). Loved flipping through it.

No idea where the book is now and I'm frustrated that the NYPL has no will in ever getting the series on DVD. Never got a chance to see it when PBS first aired it. Probably will get a paperback version of the book to replace my long gone copy.
msolga

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 01:35 am
@tsarstepan,
Deb & the tsar, I totally agree with your comments about Robert Hughes.
With all that detailed knowledge he possesses about so many subjects, say nothing of his brilliance in communicating it to readers & viewers, while at the same time keeping his ego in check .... well, that is truly an amazing achievement! Wink

I think he's terrific.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 05:42 am
@msolga,
interesting, will have to look that up
0 Replies

cliffwill88

Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2012 11:25 pm
@djjd62,
I loved books, however, what i didn't like were their film/t.v adaptations. Well some tv adaptation were great, but sadly, most of them had changed the plot or the whole story itself! ugh! It seems like, they're ruining the story and i hate it,, I love books, but television... i dunno.
0 Replies