The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 01:16 pm
Mistress is still one of the greatest books ever. Why isn't it on the High School reading lists? Maybe because of the insurrection of the penal colony. Don't want too much subversion.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 01:33 pm
Maybe because Heinlein was a bit of a chauvenist?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 01:59 pm
And maybe because the people who make up the lists are somewhat less conservative than Heinlein?

I really wish he hadn't written Farnham's Freehold.
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 02:29 pm
Chauvenist? Maybe - although I seem to remember Mistress' lunar insurgents pay infinite respect to women. There's an exchange in which Mannie tells his earthworm friend (don't remember his name) that groups of men have forced sexual harassers (people who have hugged women without permission) out of airlocks into cold of space.

Too liberal for the conservative Board of Ed. directors?
More likely.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 04:16 pm
Francisco--

What is wrong about a world in which the offended women shove the maulers and pawers out of the air lock?

Heinlein prided himself on protecting his ladies and most of his physical ladies relished the protection.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 05:24 pm
No problem a'tall, Noddy. School boards are more likely to endorse counciling, aren't they?
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 06:25 pm
Hold up a minute - who said there was anything wrong with that? I have the utmost respect for all members of the feminine gender, and think that such retaliation would be a great idea. Especially if it was implemented today with zero transition time.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 07:55 pm
Roger--

I believe that high school football players these days are given special licenses to ravage--particularly if they have had a winning season.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 09:22 pm
Only if they agree in advance to undergo post trauma stress counciling at the conclusion of the season.
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 12:51 pm
Jocks - Gotta agree with you, some of them could use a little trip to the cold of space. (I'm a geeky little high school kid, so I'm a tad biased Laughing)
0 Replies