Irishk

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 09:32 am
@sozobe,
It's too bad that 11/22/63 by Stephen King isn't suitable for your particular book club since it has a little something for everyone (mystery, suspense, history, romance). It would surely spark hours and hours of lively conversation. It also has just about the most perfect ending of any book I've read in years. Years, I say! It also made me cry lol.

The one book I see recommended for book clubs over and over (which I have on my to-be-read list and will get to soon) is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. It's been out for a while, however, and many of your members may have already read it.

An interesting podcast on NPR a while back about book club recommendations listed the following (which I noted and added to my TBR list):

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett
The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
We the Animals by Justin Torres
Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks
The Sojourn by Andrew Krivak
boomerang

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 09:46 am
I also really liked "The Sisters Brothers". Very, very different. I think it would provide a lot of discussion for a book club.
saab

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 09:47 am
Another one which I really liked:
Linda Olsson "Let me sing you gentle songs,"
She is Swedish and lives in NZ. The books takes place in Sweden and is about two women who get to be friends. There are feelings, hidden feelings and how the older woman learns to open up with help of the younger one.

Interesting about the title. The English title is "Let me sing you gentle songs"
The Swedish title is a direct translation from the English.
I happened to see the book in Germany and the German title is "The village witch" - Die Dorfhexe. It does not fit one bit.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 10:41 am
@Irishk,
I've read that one...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 10:43 am
@Irishk,
Thanks!

I was thinking of the "Immortal Life..." too.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 10:56 am
@boomerang,
Definitely putting that one on my list. Actually did when I saw your recommendation on the thread about titles. Thanks!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 11:34 am
this canadian book was highly praised

Half-Blood Blues

http://www.esiedugyan.com/images/half-blood-blues-combined.jpg

Winner of the 2011 Scotiabank Giller Prize
Finalist for the Man Booker Prize
Finalist for the Rogers Writers' Trust Fiction Prize
Finalist for the Governor General's Literary Award for Fiction

Berlin, 1939. A young, brilliant trumpet-player, Hieronymus, is arrested in a Paris cafe. The star musician was never heard from again. He was twenty years old. He was a German citizen. And he was black.

Fifty years later, Sidney Griffiths, the only witness that day, still refuses to speak of what he saw. When Chip Jones, his friend and fellow band member, comes to visit, recounting the discovery of a strange letter, Sid begins a slow journey towards redemption.

From the smoky bars of pre-war Berlin to the salons of Paris, Sid leads the reader through a fascinating, little-known world, and into the heart of his own guilty conscience.

Half-Blood Blues is an electric, heart-breaking story about music, race, love and loyalty, and the sacrifices we ask of ourselves, and demand of others, in the name of art.

Irishk

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2012 11:56 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
Winner of the 2011 Scotiabank Giller Prize
That's a great prize. In addition to the honor and prestige, the winner receives $50K!
0 Replies