"peculiar" addictions

Candery

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:22 pm
Now I'm going to write a term paper on American Literture and I have decided that I'm going to talk about some "peculiar" addictions that have been mentioned directly or indirectly in some works of American literature. For example, I have found "necrophilia" in William Faulkner's A Rose for Emily. However, I find it is very difficult for me to 0btain other works that have described some "peculiar" addictions. So, if you guys can recommend some works of that sort to me, that will be very helpful. Thank you...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,689 • Replies: 7
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:28 pm
@Candery,
What, exactly, do you consider "peculiar"?

There is "Doors of Perception" and "Confessions of an Opium Eater" but I don't know if drug addiction is peculiar enough.

Lolita certainly addresses.... oh not pedophilia... but whatever the word is for people who are attracted to teenagers.....
Candery

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:33 pm
@boomerang,
I actually once considered Lolita... but you know that is a very long novel...
I think drug addiction is not a kind of 'peculiar' addction from my perspective.
But thank very much, and I will check the works you have recommended. Thx.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 07:46 pm
@boomerang,
Hebephilia refers to the "love" of early adolescents, and ephebophilia refers to the "love" of mid- to late adolescents.
boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 08:09 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2011 09:09 pm
@Candery,
Candery wrote:
Now I'm going to write a term paper on American Literture and I have decided that I'm going to talk about some "peculiar" addictions that have been mentioned directly or indirectly in some works of American literature. For example, I have found "necrophilia" in William Faulkner's A Rose for Emily. However, I find it is very difficult for me to 0btain other works that have described some "peculiar" addictions. So, if you guys can recommend some works of that sort to me, that will be very helpful. Thank you...
Do people need necrophilia with sufficient desperation to qualify as an addiction? I dunno.

David
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 04:52 am
In William Burrough's works some people are addicted to 'Mugwump jissom.'
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2011 05:03 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Hebephilia refers to the "love" of early adolescents,
and ephebophilia refers to the "love" of mid- to late adolescents.
What is it if u love EVERYONE ?

David
0 Replies