I cried when I heard this 10 year old girl sing for the first time today; such a beautiful voice!

Thomas

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 08:53 am
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
You don't have to like Durbin's voice to recognize that her technique is far superior to Evancho's.

I'm not sure it's her technique that rubs me the wrong way. Rather, it's a sense that she doesn't know what she's doing and why she's doing it. Her voice, her phrasing, everything seems to come from a mindless imitation of what she thinks an opera singer should sound like. Since Arella Mae has a point when she says that talent is in the eye of the beholder, let me share my own standard for how an authentic wunderkind phrases music.

Because you can't really argue about taste, I'm sure there are people who don't like young Kissin's conception of Chopin. But he indisputably knows what he's doing at the piano. I'm just not getting this sense from Jackie Evancho.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 12:19 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
I'm not sure it's her technique that rubs me the wrong way. Rather, it's a sense that she doesn't know what she's doing and why she's doing it. Her voice, her phrasing, everything seems to come from a mindless imitation of what she thinks an opera singer should sound like.

Well, evidently she thinks an opera singer should sound like a 45-year old smoker.
panzade

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 01:14 pm
@joefromchicago,
an opera singer should sound like a 45-year old smoker.

That made me laugh.

Saw her again last night on PBS. It's like David Foster is
featuring his most talented poodle.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 01:43 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I concur.

I don't like high pitched voices.

They grate on my nerves.

the other girls voice is soothing.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2011 01:46 pm
@Thomas,
I waited for 20 seconds waiting for that boy to start singing.
0 Replies