How can we be perfect as our heavenly father Jehovah?

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 05:37 am
Jesus told his listeners: “You must . . . be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” How can humans today “be perfect”?—Matt. 5:48.
The key to answering this question lies in understanding how the words “perfect” and “perfection” are used in the Bible. Not everything that the Scriptures describe as “perfect” may be so in an absolute sense. Of course, Jehovah possesses such absolute perfection. People or things can be perfect only in a relative sense. The Hebrew and Greek Bible words translated “perfect” often mean “complete,” “mature,” or “faultless” according to standards set by an authority. In everyday speech, the word is generally used in a relative sense. The expression “perfect weather” is one example.
Adam and Eve were created perfect morally, spiritually, and physically. They were perfect according to the standard set by their Creator. Because of disobedience, they did not measure up to this standard and therefore lost perfection for themselves and their offspring. Thus it was through Adam that sin, imperfection, and death were passed on to humankind.—Rom. 5:12.
As Jesus made plain in the Sermon on the Mount, however, even imperfect people can be perfect in a relative sense. In that discourse, he set standards for perfect, or complete, love. This is love such as that shown by God toward humankind. Jesus said: “Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those persecuting you; that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise upon wicked people and good and makes it rain upon righteous people and unrighteous.” (Matt. 5:44, 45) By showing love to this extent, Jesus’ disciples would be imitating God’s perfect example.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,177 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:00 am
Apart from being deeply suspicious of the veracity of scripture, i can assure you that your boy Jehovah is no father of mine.

But you have a big time, ya hear?
TeddyCSinc

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:22 am
@Setanta,
“If anyone wants to come after me, let him disown himself and pick up his torture stake day after day and follow me continually.”—LUKE 9:23.

WE OWE our lives to God. If he had not created humankind, we would never have been born. But God created more than life. He made us so that we could enjoy many things: the flavor of food, the warmth of sunlight, the sound of music, the freshness of a spring day, the tenderness of love. Even more, God gave us a mind and the desire to learn about him. He inspired the Bible, which gives us sound guidance, shows us how to live happier lives, and provides the hope of living forever in his righteous new world. God also provides his holy spirit, the support of a local congregation, and loving older men and women who can help us to remain strong in his service.—

In addition to all of that, God sent his own firstborn Son to tell us more about what the Father expects of us and to provide a “release by ransom” for everyone who will accept it. (Ephesians 1:7; Romans 5:18) That son, Jesus Christ, said: “God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16, King James Version)

The salvation made possible by that ransom is of such superlative value that there is absolutely no way that anyone could do works to earn it, certainly not works formerly done under the Mosaic Law.

Thus, Paul wrote: “A man is declared righteous, not due to works of law, but only through faith toward Christ Jesus.”
Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:47 am
@TeddyCSinc,
Quote:
WE OWE our lives to God.

I see no good reason to agree with that.
jcboy

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 02:36 pm
@Setanta,
Neither do I and I'm getting tired of having to turn the hose on these nutcrackers that keep knocking on my door every weekend at 8AM Wink
djjd62

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 02:41 pm
@jcboy,
ha, weren't they all supposed to disappear a few saturdays ago

worst rapture ever
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 05:13 pm
@jcboy,
You need a couple of rotweilers to sleep by the front door--maybe the word will soon get around and the bible thumpers will leave ya alone . . .
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 05:19 pm
I have the gay flag hanging out front but that doesn't stop them, next I’ll be hanging a mannequin of jesus in the tree, see if that works.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 05:50 pm
@jcboy,
The flag would be like catnip to a cat. Try this:

http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/jehovahs-witnesses-89735.jpg?1188749843
jcboy

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:12 pm
@Green Witch,
haha I may have to order a hand painted original sign just to hang on the front door! Wink
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 07:59 pm
@TeddyCSinc,
TeddyCSinc wrote:
WE OWE our lives to God. If he had not created humankind, we would never have been born.
Who told you that, and why do you believe them?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 06:48 am
@Setanta,
I do. And, I expect that I will pay in full.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2011 08:02 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Neither do I and I'm getting tired of having to turn the hose on these nutcrackers that keep knocking on my door every weekend at 8AM Wink
Put a sign on your door saying you want no solicitors of any kind.
jcboy

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 11:20 am
@Arella Mae,
I have that, doesn't work, they still leave notes offering to give me a free bible but this house doesn't have a fireplace.
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2011 04:30 pm
@jcboy,
So you are complaining they leave notes? LOL!
0 Replies