Michael Crichton

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 02:13 pm
Maybe he MAKES these things happen? (spooky music....)
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 04:05 pm
Well he overestimated the strength of the Japanese economy and underestimated the strength of America's, as did all of us at the time. In Sphere, he has the characters discover that Coca-Cola was bought out by the Japanese.

The Great Train Robbery was great but it seems so un-Crichton to me. It's not like any of his other books. It's more like a classic novel complete with pedophilic sex scene.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 04:12 pm
I don't think he overestimated it as much as simply playing off the fears prevalent in America at the time.

But I really have no way to know that.
0 Replies

eremos

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 04:24 pm
I love Crichton for the way he writes so incredibly believably - I often find myself needing to take a moment to convince myself that yes, this really is fiction.

And also the way he makes complex scientific facts and theories understandable. It's just fascinating to read.

In two words: Really engaging.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2004 04:42 pm
Want a non-Crichton Crichton book? He wrote this with his brother, Douglas, and published under the name Michael Douglas... Dealing, or The Berkeley-to-Boston Forty-Brick Lost-Bag Blues...
0 Replies

e n d e r

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 07:31 pm
I have read some of Michael Crichton's books and I have to say, I think my favourite is Timeline. I'm probably slightly biased though as I do have an amateur interest in history in my reading. Sometimes I do get a bit bogged down in his technical explanations (as with Tom Clancy), but I've found that if I have to just skim over them, the story doesn't actually suffer for it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 08:22 pm
and just where did Broadway Joe go? I get a little weary of responding to threads that the creator does not acknowledge.

ander, A Case of Need....his first....trudges wearily off, after staying: Welcome to A2K

Goodnight, from Florida
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 08:27 pm
Good Lookin' out, Wy . . . i read that, and had no clue that Our Michael was the author.

I had forgotten all about Rising Sun, which surprises me, because on a purely technical basis, i think it was his best effort at popular novel.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2004 08:36 pm
I read Dealing, etc., before I read anything else of his, although I knew about Andromeda Strain at the time... so when I did get around to other M.C. books I was quite surprised! Smile
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:37 am
All I can say is the film 'Jurassic Park' was a fraction of what Michael Chrichton wrote. Read the book!
0 Replies

maya

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 06:30 am
Eaters of the Dead was a great book. Kept me and my ADD self enthralled.
0 Replies