Identifing Marks Of True Religion

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 05:23 am
Its teachings are based firmly on the inspired Scriptures. “All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight.” (2 Timothy 3:16) But where does the Holy Bible speak of Christendom’s Trinity? And where does the Bible teach, as the clergy do, that humans have a soul that survives the death of the physical body? Have you ever asked a clergyman to show you those teachings in your Bible? The New Encyclopædia Britannica states: “Neither the word Trinity nor the explicit doctrine appears in the New Testament.” (1992, Micropædia, Volume 11, page 928) And the New Catholic Encyclopedia admits: “Among the Apostolic Fathers, there had been nothing even remotely approaching such a mentality or perspective.” (1967, Volume XIV, page 299) As for Christendom’s concept of a soul that separates from the body at death, church scholars admit that they borrowed the idea from Greek philosophy. However, true religion does not set aside Bible truth for human philosophy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,312 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 05:57 am
So, everybody who isn't reading the bible is just fucked, huh?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 07:33 am
@TeddyCSinc,
True religions care nothing for truth... God; Their God is the paradigm through which they view all reality...
TeddyCSinc

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 05:12 am
@Fido,
That's correct....Many people feel that it would be unwise either to claim to have the true religion or to try to decide whether any religion is true.

You must have heard the seemingly wise and liberal view, ‘Let each man believe as he wants. There is good in all religions.’

Nonetheless, all of us are definitely involved—this is not a subject that we personally can avoid. Despite the increasing emphasis on being scientific, and on atheism in the Communistic world, religion is part of our inner makeup.

As one encyclopedia expressed it:
“Of the whole family of man, existing in all ages, and scattered over every quarter of the globe, there is not one well-authenticated exception to the fact that, moved by an inward impulse, and guided by revelation or tradition, man worships something which he believes to be endowed with the attributes of a superior being.”
0 Replies

TeddyCSinc

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 05:23 am
Although science can explain most phenomena of the here and now, men everywhere still seek hope beyond the few decades of individual existence.

Certainly, with regard to answers to these fundamental questions and to hope for the future, we do not want to rely on a delusion or a myth. That being so, we have ample reason for investigating this matter of identifying the true religion.
The view of the atheist is that there is no God, while the agnostic says that no one really knows about this—that we are just here. But do these views really satisfy or harmonize with the facts?

Some share the thoughts expressed by philosopher-historian Will Durant, who was reported as saying:
“I feel the creator’s urge in all living things and I suspect there is something corresponding to that even in the atom, in all its exploding electrons. An atom is not a dead thing. It’s a thing throbbing . . . with life. And consequently I can’t think of the universe as a machine. A machine does not throb with life. It stands perfectly still unless something throbbing with life gets hold of it.”

Many persons, even some agnostics, have grappled with such thoughts in seeking the answer to life and have reasoned that this higher intelligence, this Creator, logically would provide answers or information for his creation, even as we humans do for our own children.
Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 05:29 am
@TeddyCSinc,
Not to put too fine a point on it . . . nonsense. You beg the question of a deity by assuming that one exists. Furthermore, you don't provide an answer to the implied question of the title. Your opening post simply states, without even providing a plausible logiccal basis, that the Judeo-christian scriptural canon is the only acceptable scriptural canon. It may surprise you to learn that there are billions of people on this planet who aren't going to buy that happy horseshit.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 06:42 am
@TeddyCSinc,
It could be that we plead to existence of God to explain our own existence which is a thing science cannot begin to explain... But who needs an explanation, and especially one pulled out of the ass of mankind with so much effort... I do not have to explain my existence or prove it... I just have to live it, what ever that means and what ever that takes, and that is bad enough...If meaning is life, and life is meaning, do you think I will get any more of either giving meaning and being to God???
0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 06:55 am
Matthew 28:16 says
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.....
The word Trinity does not appear here, but it is suggested. Here we see the theological consept of Christendom´s trinity emerging. The bible is not a book of doctrines. Chrstian thinkers developed the teaching of Trinity on the basis of the Bible.

The Bible has no teaching of the soul but the word soul is an attempt to describe how something in a human being survives death.
Regarding the Greek influence is very difficult to describe how the body survives death without making the body something equally abstract as the soul therefore many theologians see the human body and soul correctly as a unit.
Fido

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2011 07:07 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

Matthew 28:16 says
Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.....
The word Trinity does not appear here, but it is suggested. Here we see the theological consept of Christendom´s trinity emerging. The bible is not a book of doctrines. Chrstian thinkers developed the teaching of Trinity on the basis of the Bible.

The Bible has no teaching of the soul but the word soul is an attempt to describe how something in a human being survives death.
Regarding the Greek influence is very difficult to describe how the body survives death without making the body something equally abstract as the soul therefore many theologians see the human body and soul correctly as a unit.
In fact, the different elements of the trinity follow earthly notions of political power, and that is why there is an Eastern and Western Catholicism...
TeddyCSinc

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 05:45 am
@Fido,
The religious scene around us today is similar—if not worse—than it was in Jesus’ day. For example, recall that the first thing Jesus taught his followers to pray for concerned God’s name: “Let your name be sanctified.” (Matt. 6:9) Do we see the religious leaders, especially the clergy of Christendom, teaching people to know God by his name and to sanctify, or honor, that name? On the contrary, they have misrepresented God by such false teachings as the Trinity, immortality of the human soul, and hellfire, making God appear mysterious, unfathomable, cruel, even sadistic. They have also brought reproach on God by their scandals and their hypocrisy.

Furthermore, they have done everything possible to hide God’s personal name, even removing it from their translations of the Bible. They thus hinder people from drawing close to God and cultivating a personal relationship with him.—Jas. 4:7, 8.
Jesus also taught his followers to pray for God’s Kingdom: “Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth.” (Matt. 6:10) Though Christendom’s religious leaders often repeat that prayer, they have urged people to support political and other human institutions. Moreover, they belittle those who endeavor to preach and bear witness to this Kingdom. As a result, among many who claim to be Christians, God’s Kingdom is no longer a topic for discussion, let alone a matter of faith.
Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 05:48 am
@TeddyCSinc,
You're delusional, Bubba . . . but have big fun, 'K?
TeddyCSinc

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:26 am
@Setanta,
Those who are sincerely searching for truth generally recognize that there must be a God and that he reasonably would reveal his will and offer answers about why we are here, what life means and what the future holds for us. Consider the case of a Persian man in West Berlin. Years ago his father was an influential politician, but after a political reverse he took the family to Russia, where the son studied and became an engineer. In time the young man moved to East Berlin and later sought asylum in West Berlin. He explains:
“Although I belonged to an Eastern religion, I had not been active religiously. Still, since childhood I believed in God and I often meditated on the purpose of life and why there are so many religions. In the summer of 1975 I met two students of the Bible and talked over matters with them. From their explanations I was able to conclude that the Bible is inspired of God. They visited me at my home and we got involved in discussions regarding the differences in religions. They left with me the book What Has Religion Done for Mankind? The explanations in it based on the Bible brought about changes in my entire outlook on life. What I learned, and the changes this brought about in my thinking and actions, have brought me great joy.”
How reasonable it was for this engineer to give consideration to the Bible! The Bible includes the oldest and most widely circulated of all sacred writings. It alone comes to grips with questions that we need answered—Why are we here? Why do we die? What does the future hold.......
Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:43 am
@TeddyCSinc,
TeddyCSinc wrote:
Those who are sincerely searching for truth generally recognize that there must be a God . . .

bullshit
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 08:38 am
@TeddyCSinc,
TeddyCSinc wrote:

The religious scene around us today is similar—if not worse—than it was in Jesus’ day. For example, recall that the first thing Jesus taught his followers to pray for concerned God’s name: “Let your name be sanctified.” (Matt. 6:9) Do we see the religious leaders, especially the clergy of Christendom, teaching people to know God by his name and to sanctify, or honor, that name? On the contrary, they have misrepresented God by such false teachings as the Trinity, immortality of the human soul, and hellfire, making God appear mysterious, unfathomable, cruel, even sadistic. They have also brought reproach on God by their scandals and their hypocrisy.

Furthermore, they have done everything possible to hide God’s personal name, even removing it from their translations of the Bible. They thus hinder people from drawing close to God and cultivating a personal relationship with him.—Jas. 4:7, 8.
Jesus also taught his followers to pray for God’s Kingdom: “Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth.” (Matt. 6:10) Though Christendom’s religious leaders often repeat that prayer, they have urged people to support political and other human institutions. Moreover, they belittle those who endeavor to preach and bear witness to this Kingdom. As a result, among many who claim to be Christians, God’s Kingdom is no longer a topic for discussion, let alone a matter of faith.

What you talk about is common in myth, fairy tail, and anthropology, and it can be refered to as the Mana of Names... Rumplestilskin is a good example, because just as the name of a thing is essential to the concept of it, so the name of a person gave you power over them, to invoke, or charm.... The Jews always kep the name of their God secret lest he be turned against them, but think of what you are talking about here... People never seek to glorify God, but to use God, manipulate God, and turn God to their purposes... If you believe in God, then what is it, and what name do you need to know to turn your life to God's purpose???...

I for one am happy to belittle those who preach and bear witness to a kingdom they have never wintnessed... The good works Christians could do could be done for the good of it... They do not need the ulterior motive of heaven, and clearly that is no priority with them since the laying up of money and political power seem paramount... Let me reduce some of Jesus's teaching to its essence for you... The formal religious establisment is a self rewarding structure, or form... The relationship one need with God is not achieved by formalities like law, or alms giving... If you want the relationship with God, you must dispense with the formality, and relate directly with God understanding that God knows all and loves most people, if not all...All sin happens first in the mind, and even the Ten Commanments recognizes the psychological nature of most sin...The formality of the church appeals to some, but it is hardly what may be desired or achieved by those who believe...Try to remember that the similarities between our time, and our churches, and that time, and the temple in days past... When Jeruselem was sacked, enough wealth was taken from the place to build the Colloseum, and yet the people of Israel were sueing each other for their tunics, to which Jesus recommended that they give them their britches as well... The place was empoverished and hardscrabble, and the temple and priests were corrupt and rich... What is the difference today???If those people would put down their bibles, help their fellow man, or at least suffer with them their poverty, then things would change... If they can look at suffering from a distance uninjured then they are not Christians, Slaves of Christ...
0 Replies