Heaven and Hell

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:04 am
Is the concept behind heaven and hell not twisted? Imagine the following scenarios:
A baby, born to a faithful christian family, growing up being taught christian ways, never once sinning in his whole life. If a christian god exists, that person would go to heaven when they die right?
Now imagine the next scenario:
A baby, identical to the first one, born to a faithful Hindu family, growing up being taught Hindu ways, never once breaking Hindu law, but spending his entire life worshiping "false" idols. If a christian god exists, wouldn't that person be sent to hell? Even though those to babies were identical to begin with and shaped purely by their outer circumstances, one of them goes to heaven and one of them goes to hell. It is this line of thinking that has led me to not believing in heaven, and ultimately, not believing in god. Feel free to disagree/add on to anything I have said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,359 • Replies: 19
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:26 am
@coolcubed,
Basically you're having a go at the fundamentalists. I've made a similar argument about Mussolini and Ghandi. Mussolini, a good Catholic boy is absolved by confession. Ghandi, a Hindu goes straight to Hell. Now that's obviously bollocks. Religion is the Devil's best invention.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:32 am
@coolcubed,
You're not supposed to analyze it to carefully. Just listen to your priest and have faith.
coolcubed

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:45 am
@rosborne979,
You are only emphasizing my point. If the Hindu boy were to not question his religion, and just keep his faith, would that not send him further into hell when he died?
rosborne979

Reply Mon 23 May, 2011 09:49 am
@coolcubed,
coolcubed wrote:
You are only emphasizing my point.
I know. I like preaching to the choir. Smile
coolcubed

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 08:23 am
@rosborne979,
????
rosborne979

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 06:05 pm
@coolcubed,
coolcubed wrote:

????
It means I knew I was emphasizing your point.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 06:17 pm
Do know anyone personally who actually believes these scenarios?
rosborne979

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 06:22 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Do know anyone personally who actually believes these scenarios?
I do.
George

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 06:44 pm
@rosborne979,
Seriously, he believes that a Hindu who lives a good life is going to hell?
koreanpsyco

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 07:37 pm
@coolcubed,
god would have ressurected that hindu child after death after armagedon ......all who did not have a chance to learn will be taught all other religions would b gone so they would without dought learn truth......if you need scriptual backing for this i can provide it just ask
0 Replies

koreanpsyco

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 07:39 pm
@coolcubed,
also just because your good doesnt mean you automatically go to heaven.....did not jesus go to hell breifly......and just to let you know....hell is not a torment place but just a resting place.....if you need evidence ask
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 08:37 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Seriously, he believes that a Hindu who lives a good life is going to hell?
Southern baptists, what can I tell ya.
George

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 08:38 pm
@rosborne979,
Wow.
Just wow.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 08:44 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Wow.
Just wow.
They go by the book. Ar at least how the book was explained to them. It's all black and white, no middle ground. Either you accept Jesus no questions asked or you burn forever. No doubt, no hesitation.
George

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 08:45 pm
@rosborne979,
You'd think they'd give the Big Guy a little more credit.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 08:51 pm
@George,
George wrote:

You'd think they'd give the Big Guy a little more credit.
They don't see it our way. They believe in mortal sin. To them, all of humanity is born deserving hell, and the only way off that track is through Jesus.

Unfortunately they are not alone. JesusLand (the bible belt) is full of people like that.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 09:08 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Wow.
Just wow.

In no particular order...

I once asked a Southern Baptist (already suspecting the answer I'd get) "So, what happened to all the Jews that lived and died before Jesus was even born?"

The answer she gave was "Oh, there're in hell."

I asked her how that could be, since they weren't even given the opportunity to accept Jesus. She told me she never thought about that, but knew that they were in hell.
So, because she had never given it any thought, all the millions, or billions who had lived prior to 2000 years ago were all in hell forever (and as catholics would say) and ever.
However, if she talked to Pastor Bob, and he told her otherwise, then they weren't in hell.
Not think for yourself much?

Shortly after that, I was channel surfing, and came across a local program where 2 guys were sitting around fielding questions from the general public about Jesus. I called and told them my name was Persephone, and asked them the same thing. From these 2 learned men, I learned that they would have been given a chance, after Jesus came.

Whew. That was a close one.

Another time, I was listening to an interview with M. Night Shyamalan, who although raised a hindu, was sent to catholic school. He remember how they were learning the catachism and the part where only christians would go to heaven, and all others would end up in hell. The nun told him "that's not really how it is, don't worry about it" or something close to that.

Although I have little to no respect left for the catholic church, I have to take my hat off to that sister.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 06:38 am
@chai2,
Perhaps the definition of Hell needs to be changed. A lot of people believe that we're already in Hell. We are here for a reason, and that lessons have to be learned, and until we learn them we're just going to keep coming back to Hell. A positive note is that we'll all get to Heaven in the end, it just may take a really long time.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 07:28 am
0 Replies