Gather Round, all Classical Music Lovers

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 07:07 am
Have I found a site for you! the BBC has a program which explores various classical pieces of music. I've only listened to snippets so far, but the show reminds me of the Leonard Bernstein Children's concerts of days gone by, but with a British accent.There is a large archive of past shows, and you can make suggestions for upcoming programs.

Go to:

Link to BBC Classical Music Show

Enjoy! (I know that I will!)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,659 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 09:25 am
Cheers, Boss, t'ank ye . . .
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:05 pm
music and lyrics
Phoenix, I remember as a child going on a school field trip to the L.A. Symphony Auditorium to see Bernstein do a presentation for kids. It was one of my epiphanies, as it were. Later as a young adult I saw one of his presentations on TV. He was such a showman in the best (educational) sense of the word. He was discussing Beethoven's 5th, giving an account of how Beetoven conjured his famous introductory phrase ...- from the sound of a door knock, as I recall. He was sitting on a darkened stage at the piano with a spotlight on himself and the piano, plunking out the four famous notes and those that followed for a few bars. THEN, he stood up and the lights came on revealing a full symphony orchestra behind him. And suddenly they began the 5th Symphony full blast. The hairs on my arms are standing now as I recall it. A masterful moment of educational technique. SO MUCH BETTER than the usual music appreciation discussions I experienced at school.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:11 pm
Ya know, it's things like this that make me want to scream at my local telephone and cable companies for not making high speed net access available. I HATE DIAL-UP! Look at what I miss! Arrrgh... grumble moan...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:12 pm
Thanks, Phoenix -- I put it in my favorites.

Boy do I remember the old LA Symphony auditorium. I believe Steinberg was one of the conductors of that time. Many memories of a concert and then an invasion of the coffee houses on Sunset Strip (or a jazz club!)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 01:47 pm
JLNobody- My son just told me today that if a person has digital cable, there is a station called "Trio" which is playing Bernstein's Children's concerts on a regular basis.

You can buy the whole set for $299-, but it is VHS, not DVD. www.half.com is selling it for $229-.
0 Replies