Links worth long term exploration.

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 09:19 am
Once in a while I come across something that I bookmark so that I can go back and explore all the various ideas and articles listed.

Today I came across one and I thought to myself "Osso would love this. I'm going to send her a link." and then I thought "but other people might like it too... and if I offered it up it would make it easy for me to find again.... but it isn't really worth a separate thread.... like I did with the Smithsonian music thread..... "

So I though I'd start a page of links that I think are worth exploring; links of places where the content won't be changing so they don't need to be revisited for new information, but places you might revisit simply to read more.

Please feel free to leave a link here but be sure to tell us a little bit about what you're linking.

So.......

This is one man's list of what he considers the best journalism of 2010. As I read through his list I saw a lot of things I would like to read. The author categorizes the articles into: Storytelling, Crime and punishment, Sports and leisure, Science, religion and human nature, Birth, death and the afterlife, Multimedia matters, The innovative and creative, Food, Profiles, and This is a business -- something for everyone!

Quote:
Throughout 2010, I kept my own running list of exceptional nonfiction for the Best of Journalism newsletter I publish. The result is my third annual Best Of Journalism Awards - America's only nonfiction writing prize judged entirely by me. I couldn't read every worthy piece published last year. But everything that follows is worthy of wider attention.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2011/05/nearly-100-fantastic-pieces-of-journalism/238230/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,103 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 09:24 am
@boomerang,
So now it's both bookmarked and sitting on my desktop for easy access.

Thanks!

Meantime, I'll try to think of some similar links I have.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 10:08 am
@boomerang,
Ok, here's one I checked out and then ended up reading every single entry, and follow up now with a new addition each sunday - and also use for reference:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/feb/21/hilary-mantel-saudi-arabia

It's a series about writers and a period in their life that changed them. Sometimes they explain how that affected both what they write and that they write at all.
So far, there are 63 writers.

The link is to the beginning article of the series. You can see the next one by clicking on.. next.

If you go to the Guardian and look up Once Upon a Life, you'll find this -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/series/once-upon-a-life, which sets out the articles in reverse chronological order.

Some writers interested me more than others but I still learned a lot by reading every single article. Now I recognize the writers' names when I see them on other websites and so I can go to the Guardian, insert a name in the search, and the Once Upon a Life article will come up, reminding me about them.

Anyway, my bias is to read in chronological order, thus putting the first link the way I did.
Ragman

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 10:13 am
@boomerang,
http://www.ted.com

"Riveting talks by remarkable people, free to the world"

I imagine quite a few of A2K 'smarty-pants' and 'Net-explorers have seen and been aware of this one. This web-site is one of the best I can recommend for short webinars ('Net-seminars) and bite-sized lectures on worthwhile topics and issues. Think similarly to the level of a Deepak Chopra and the like...as famous or not....speaking on valued topics that you really can get into.

Happy hunting:
ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 10:15 am
@Ragman,
I've read about ted.com but not yet explored it, thanks for the link.
Ragman

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 10:17 am
@ossobuco,
Osso: I just know you'd enjoy it, being that you're so intellectually curious and pretty open-minded. The webinars and lectures are digestible, too...15-20 mins or so in length. I would say that it's the best site I've found for those fascinating subjects you don't find on news, blogs or info sites.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 11:05 am
@ossobuco,
Thanks! That looks great. I wasn't able to get the second link to work for me but I'm sure if I poke around I'll get to the list.

I listened to a graduation speech given by J.K. Rowling a few days ago. She talked about how hitting rock bottom can be an excellent place to build a foundation for your life. Good stuff.

Right now I"m reading "The Element" by Sir Ken Robinson. It's about the moment when an artist or thinker discovers what they were born to do. This series you linked looks like it will mesh well with that!
boomerang

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 11:07 am
@Ragman,
Oh I do love TED. That's my go-to place when I have a snippet of time to fill and I don't want to feel like I'm wasting time. I have so many favorite talks I wouldn't know where to begin to start listing them.

Excellent addition, Ragman. Thanks!
Ragman

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 12:09 pm
@boomerang,
YVW. I enjoy sharing with people that want to look at the world in a positive growth-oriented way.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 12:44 pm
@boomerang,
Try this one - http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/series/once-upon-a-life?INTCMP=SRCH

And that sounds like Sir Ken Robinson's Elements does mesh with it.
Ragman

Reply Sat 14 May, 2011 04:29 pm
@ossobuco,
hmm?
0 Replies