Good News For Fans of Author, Robert B. Parker

Miller

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 08:56 am
Parker Series to Continue at Penguin With New Writers
By Rachel Deahl
Apr 27, 2011

In a deal cut by Robert B. Parker's estate, Penguin's Putnam imprint will continue to publish two of the author's most popular series -- Spenser and Jesse Stone -- under the authorship of writers Michael Brandman and Ace Atkins. The Spenser series debuted in 1974 and is made up of 39 novels; the Jesse Stone series began in 1997 and is comprised of nine novels.

Brandman produced (and wrote the screenplays) for the TV movies based on Parker's small-town Massachusetts detective, Jesse Stone, that appeared on CBS and starred Tom Selleck in the title role. The first Jesse Stone novel Brandman will release is Robert B. Parker’s Killing the Blues, which is scheduled for September 13, 2011. Atkins, a tested crime author at Putnam with books like White Sahdow and Infamous to his credit, will release the first new Parker-branded Spenser novel in Spring 2012. Parker's longtime editor, Chris Pepe, will be overseeing both projects.

Parker, who wrote over 60 novels, died in January, 2010

Publishers Weekly Online edition
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,039 • Replies: 6
No top replies

George

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 09:26 am
@Miller,
Do you know how much of Parker's work is in this book?

I wonder whether this is a book Parker finished, but never got to publish
or he left incomplete and Brandman finished. Or whether the book is
entirely Brandman's.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 09:37 am
@Miller,
This is good news. I don't read a lot of novels but Parker's books, and TV shows, were among my favorites.

BBB
Miller

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 09:46 am
@George,
George wrote:

Do you know how much of Parker's work is in this book?

I wonder whether this is a book Parker finished, but never got to publish
or he left incomplete and Brandman finished. Or whether the book is
entirely Brandman's.

As far as I know, Parker's final book has already been published. It looks to me like Brandman's book will be entirely his own.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 09:50 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I bought up many of Parker's early books from Powells ( used books ) so I'd have a small home library devoted to Robert Parker.

I've always enjoyed his style of writing and I personally don't think anyone can really copy it. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what developes.
George

Reply Wed 4 May, 2011 11:15 am
@Miller,
Agreed.

I'm hopeful and skeptical at the same time.
Miller

Reply Fri 6 May, 2011 07:40 am
@George,
You're not alone.
0 Replies