Another difficult song request

Mdguy

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 09:55 pm
Happy New Year everyone!

I am searching for yet another song and this is one that has been literally bothering me for YEARS! I've just spent a few hours on the net (yet again) trying to figure out what song it is, alas to no avail.
What makes it difficult is that it is an instrumental, so I have no lyrics to go by. Sad
To give you a rundown on what I DO know, the song was almost definitely from the mid to late 70's and was specifically played on TV during sports highlights (such as football), but it's NOT the Monday Night Football Theme. I would classify it as a 'motivational'-type song to get you psyched for a big game, etc and most importantly, I am almost sure it is entirely synthesizer-based with no orchestral instruments in the song. It is a fairly well-known song among sports fans of that era because I described this song to a friend of mine and he even did a decent impersonation of the melody of this exact tune!
I've searched just about everywhere on the net and the closet I've come is the Alan Parsons Project, but listened to most of their instrumental songs and even though many of them were familar and were used on TV back then, I still haven't found THE one.

Can anybody steer me in the right direction on this one? I might even give one of you my firstborn if you know which song it is! Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 783 • Replies: 7
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:19 pm
Heres a few lists for you but, cant help ya other than that.
Can you humm a few bars? Wink

http://sportzone.byu.edu/story.cfm/43438

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Park/4732/songs.html
0 Replies

Mdguy

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 10:36 pm
quinn1 wrote:
Heres a few lists for you but, cant help ya other than that.
Can you humm a few bars? Wink

http://sportzone.byu.edu/story.cfm/43438

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Park/4732/songs.html

LOL Thanks for the reply, but this song wasn't in the list.

*getting ready to clear throat* Laughing
0 Replies

dragonfly13184

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 09:45 pm
is it the basketball song?... the one that they play at basketball games in particular? and every now and then they say "HEY!" or "YAY!" or something like that?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 11:50 pm
dragonfly, that's Gary Glitter's "Rock and Rock, Part 2"
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2004 06:12 am
Try Googling Quincy Jones' work.

He did numerous television theme songs in that time period, mostly for police dramas like Mannix, Cannon, Starsky and Hutch, etc.

I can't even recall a sports highlight show that was on TV during the '70's, so what are you thinking of?
0 Replies

Mdguy

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 04:45 pm
Thanks for the replys - I finally found the song, though by just searching and searching 'til it came up:

It was the theme to the movie "Midnight Express" - "The Chase" by Giorgio Moroder. They played it in TV program intros and sometimes during sports broadcasts when they were highlighting games previously played. I knew it wasn't an obscure song, but without any lyrics it's a big harder to try to explain what it is!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2004 05:04 pm
Well, now we can all hear it!

Scroll halfway down the page, and you will find clips to music from the movie.

Link to Music from Midnight Express
0 Replies