Income Tax Filing Extension

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 09:47 am
I have never been an 11th hour person in this regard and I probably will get a rebate. I need one more document -- a statement from the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority because such fees are deductible, but only from state income tax.

I understand this is the last year to file a paper return. I filed by computer once and hated it because I felt the process was completely out of my control.

How do I ask for a filing extension?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 873 • Replies: 4
No top replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 12:42 pm
@plainoldme,
Form 4868 is the one you need. Google in irs form 4868 and you will be able to download it.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2011 01:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thank you! I went to the public library today and picked up the forms. I might have time later today and after work Thursday. Thanks again.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2011 11:12 pm
While I generally am assigned a 9-hour shift on Thursdays, I had a shorter work day today. I was able to do the 1040A form and put it through the mail slot at the PO at 10:40 PM.
JPB

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2011 07:30 am
@plainoldme,
Four days ahead of time! Federal tax day is April 18th this year due to a goofy DC holiday today (normal tax day) that the IRS observes. If April 15th occurs on a holiday then all taxes are due by the next business day - April 18th in this case.

Most states are following suit and moving the tax deadline to Monday.
0 Replies