Concrete Angel

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 10:26 pm
There's a song named "Concrete Angel" I think it's by Martina McBride (maybe). Anyways, I know that the song is about a little girl who is a victim of child abuse. And throughout the chorus it metaphorically speaks of how she's a "concrete angel" and endures and hides her pain. Then in the end it's talking about a real "statue in a shady place" of an "angel girl with an upturned face" and it says something about her name being engraved on a polished rock. So my question is, and this may seem to be a no-brainer, but did the little girl die (perhaps and the hands of her parent, or suicide) or is the song still referring to the angel in a metaphorical sense? Any opinion would be great!! Also, if you happen to know the origins (perhaps the story behind why this song was written) I'd appreciate that too.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,829 • Replies: 3
No top replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 01:54 am
Somebody cries in the middle of the night
The neighbors hear, but they turn out the lights
A fragile soul caught in the hands of fate
When morning comes, it'll be too late

These lines lead me to believe that she dies. It reminds me of Dave Pelzer A Child Called It. Only Dave escapes a deadly fate.

I'm not sure of any history for the song. But, the video shows evidence of abuse and a graveyard scene at the end where she is dancing with other kids. I think I even recall an announcement at the end about abused children.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2004 11:41 pm
The concrete angel would be a grave stone. She does die. And it is proabably by the hand of the abusier.
0 Replies

Robin

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 12:19 pm
Ughh... this song sure does a number on my heart. Sad Martina has a way of expressing such emotion.

Quote:
She walks to school with the lunch she packed
Nobody knows what she's holdin' back
Wearin' the same dress she wore yesterday
She hides the bruises with linen and lace

The teacher wonders but she doesn't ask
It's hard to see the pain behind the mask
Bearing the burden of a secret storm
Sometimes she wishes she was never born

To me, it is a reminder that these children (that are abused) need adults in their life to step up for them to protect them - before it's too late. The girl obviously wears the same clothes day after day, "the teacher wonders but she doesn't ask". I don't know, but that's my take on it. Smile It's so sad... but I love that Martina does songs that raise awareness.
0 Replies