Another Woman Fails in a High Profile Leadership Role

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 01:11 pm
This is typical, though, or your anti-female hysteria. Nothing new there.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 01:22 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
This is typical, though, or your anti-female hysteria. Nothing new there.
I am saying nothing about Couric that has not been said by a lot of other people over a lot if years. The main problem here is not Couric, as she is who she is and can only do what she can do, it is with the people who hired her for a job that she was not suited for. It is finally over, but this took far too long to fix.
Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 01:39 pm
You anti-female hysteria is embodied in the thread title to the effect that another woman has failed, etc.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 01:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
But you are implying with your thread title that her "failure" is a direct result of her gender, not her skill set. You say the problem is not Couric but the people who hired her, but do not mention Sean McManus (President of CBS news from 2005 to 2011) at all. Is he another man who failed in a high profile leadership role? If fact, he's just been promoted to Chairmen of CBS sports so maybe he's not a failure or if he is, maybe it doesn't carry any repercussions unless you are a woman. Perhaps Couric is leaving as part of the management transition. If that's the case, McManus is completely responsible for the five year stint you are so critical of. The burn is that when a woman is perceived as failing, you trumpet it but on the occasion of a male failure, nothing. Couric is a TV personality, McManus is the leader. Who should you be complaining about?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 02:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
I'll bet the network STILL made lots of money off her employment in the meawhile, or else she'd have been fired in year one.
IDK, there was talk about cutting her after the second year after they had given up on her, but it did not happen. I think the reason was that it would be a PR disaster. Like with Julie Taymor I think what we saw was that it is very difficult to unload women who fail because they play the victim card so well. You can never get rid of a woman strickly on merits and the economics, the stink will always being that she is getting the shaft because she is a woman and she was never given the chance or the support to succeed. , The lesson is that not hiring a woman in the first place is the responsible course of action.

Bullshit. Ellen deGeneres was fired when she came out of the closet. If your points were true, they wouldn't have done that because she could claim 'victim' on both counts - lesbian and woman.

You're a f**ing idiot, Hawkeye. Your opinion of women is so skewed and low you make me sick.
talk72000

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 03:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
She had a niche and the audience for anchor is different. Her morning show was light and mostly women. Anchor is more serious fare. Diane Sawyer came from a serious 60 Minutes so she fit in anchor very well.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 03:11 pm
@talk72000,
Quote:
Her morning show was light and mostly women
And if I am not mistaken, much younger. For a lot of reasons Sawyer was a much better bet.....hopefully now that this disaster is coming to an end there will be a book in the near future from some insider explaining how it happened.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 03:15 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
Ellen deGeneres was fired when she came out of the closet
How many years ago was that?? There has been a broad shift towards support of gays in recent years but even now a sizable minority are hostile to gays, there has not been a broad hostility towards women for generations, Ellen did not have the ability to play the victim card anywhere near as well as Couric does. You are comparing apples and oranges.
Mame

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 03:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
Why didn't she have the ability to play the victim card? There has not been a broad hostility towards women for generations? What do you call it, then, when men make more for the same work and are promoted earlier? That's not exactly 'hostile' but it certainly is preferential treatment. What do you call it when a woman's having a bad day and the men assume she's 'on the rag' (as I heard it put once or twice) and she's a 'bitch', but when men have a bad day it's no big deal?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 03:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Not a surprise at all, as she has been a disaster for the network from the start. We will not see anyone try that again for awhile.

She may have been a disaster in your eyes, but not in mine. I enjoy Katie and I try to watch her each and every night. There's absolutely nothing wrong in making a change. Good luck to Katie and her very handsome boyfriend.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 04:56 pm
@Miller,
Quote:
Should Couric exit nightly news, hers would be one of the shortest anchor stints in the modern television news era. In an interview earlier this week on CBS' "Late Show with David Letterman," she was chided by the comedian for considering such a short stint. "It's not like it's a temp gig," Letterman told Couric, reminding her that other anchors "ride into the sunset."

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/26/business/la-fi-ct-couric-20110326

Between that, every idea she had for revolutionizing evening news being a failure, the bad ratings, the bad reviews from critics, Couric was a failure. Not a single thing that she was supposed to add to the brand happened.
Ragman

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 09:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
Perhaps you don't understand or miscalculate the effects of fragmentation of the audience that Cable news and Internet news sources have had on Network news. However, you clearly want to blame the smurfette for NBC News ills..and not her boss, so have at it.

I predict in the next year or so there'll be a lot more such 'failures' at other networks. And, gasp, there'll be men in those ranks, too. Economic times being what they are - they'll be tossed quickly. And then when hired again will be working ...gasp ... under Katie who will have a nice sweet gig.

May we all fail so well and get paid 1/10 of what she has gotten in salary and bennies. I'm sure she'll land on her feet with an even higher salary. Nice way to fail, huh?!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 10:17 pm
Another Woman Fails in a High Profile Leadership Role
Apart from knowing zilch about this particular "high profile" woman, hawkeye, I'm turned off by the title of this thread.

I don't think I've ever seen a thread titled anything like this, here:
Another Man Fails in a High Profile Leadership Role

And there have been quite a few!
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 10:24 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Another Man Fails in a High Profile Leadership Role
Right, because the ability of men to lead has never been in doubt. The ability and desire of women to lead is very much in doubt, and if not for the PC laws there would now be a vigorous debate on the subject, as the poor performance of women is neither predicted nor explained by the victim identity model. Something else is going on here......my theory is that womens brains tend not to be wired in such a way that leadership is a natural talent that they possess.
msolga

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 10:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Right, because the ability of men to lead has never been in doubt.

Because they'd always held complete power, until very recently . So of course they would always have been the "natural" choice in the past. Women weren't even in the running.

Women's actual experience in such roles is a relatively new thing ..... compared to years & years & years of history.

I doubt that women's "brains" are relevant when it comes to leadership at all.

I'd rather hope that more women in leadership roles might impact on the nature of leadership, as we've known it for so long . Very early days yet.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 10:44 pm
@msolga,
When the Himalayan peasant meets the he-bear in his pride,
He shouts to scare the monster who will often turn aside.
But the she-bear thus accosted rends the peasant tooth and nail,
For the female of the species is more deadly than the male.

When Nag, the wayside cobra, hears the careless foot of man,
He will sometimes wriggle sideways and avoid it if he can,
But his mate makes no such motion where she camps beside the trail -

When the early Jesuit fathers preached to Hurons and Choctaws,
They prayed to be delivered from the vengeance of the squaws -
'Twas the women, not the warriors, turned those stark enthusiasts pale -

Man's timid heart is bursting with the things he must not say,
For the Woman that God gave him isn't his to give away;
But when hunter meets with husband, each confirms the others tale -
The female of the species is more deadly than the male.

msolga

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 10:56 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

Deadly.
Could you expand on that a bit, please?
I'm genuinely interested.
msolga

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2011 11:20 pm
@msolga,
Perhaps it was "deadly" in a good sense? Wink
Like strong & determined?
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 12:53 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Like strong & determined?

or maybe unpredictable and vengeful...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2011 09:16 am
Interview with Couric
Quote:
Why do you think your broadcast remains in third place?
I believe we were in third place for 13 years before I got here, and I think habits, particularly with an evening news broadcast, move at a glacial pace.

If CBS was in last place for thirteen years, why would you consider Couric's performance as any different from her predecessors?