Can anyone recommend some Swing/Jazz for me please?

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:04 pm
I want to expand my musical tastes, and am looking for some swing/jazz artists to investigate. I have a compilation album of Django Reinhardt & Stephane Grapelli from the 30's/40's which I really love, and that's the style I'm looking for.

I've just heard on TV a couple of tracks by a modern group called the Hot Club of Cowtown (US/Can by the accents) and it was amazing swing with so much style.

I also have a George Benson album from '66 which I really like, so that's also good if anyone can recommend other artists of a similar style.

I'm not bothered if it's new or old stuff - it's all good to me!

Thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 976 • Replies: 14
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:30 am
Stuff I like, for what it's worth...

Rahsaan Roland Kirk (the Inflated Tear is a bee-yoo-tee-full album)
Coltrane (of course)
Miles Davis before the mid-70s (Kind of Blue is a classic, as is Birth of the Cool; Bitches Brew is cool, to, if you like it plugged, noisy, and abstract)
Charles Mingus (Oh Yeah is a good one, but there's a lot of stuff out there)

Other stuff...
Pretty much any Count Basie will give you a good taste of the old big band sound. That guy Ellington -- I hear he was pretty good, too.
If you're a fan of the piano, listen to some Art Tatum. The guy was absolutely amazing.

You mention Benson -- dunno about any guitar stuff. Never really got into it.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:42 am
I have a few of Count Basie's albums which are pretty good.

If you are looking for some modern Jazz take a peek at Diana Krall (taking a peek can be taken literally too. She's a real cutie. Why she married Elvis Costello is beyond me. lol).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:15 am
Well, you may try here
Listen to BBC Radio (Jazz)
and discover perhaps some new favourites.

Personally, I could imagine, some of the Chris Barber reords /cd's I mean) from the 90's come very close to what you are looking for (besides the ones noted above): LINK
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:36 am
The first few Squirrel Nut Zippers albums are worthy... especially 'Hot'.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:32 am
The Susie Arioli Swing Band is phenomenal. She does a lot of 1920's/30's stuff.

Will poke around at home to see what else to recommend.

Do you prefer your swing hot or cold?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:47 am
Swing - Try some of the old swing from the 30/40's like Ella, Duke Ellingtion, Benny Goodman, early Frank, the Dorsey Brothers, Artie Shaw, Glenn Miller and so on. These greats started the show, listen to them and you'll appreciated all the other selections so much more.

I've been listening to a lot of Nina Simone lately and groovin to her smokey sounds.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 05:02 pm
Quote:
I've been listening to a lot of Nina Simone lately and groovin to her smokey sounds.

Great great great great great great. Didn't want to fork over the cash to see her in Seattle, then she died. Feel like a damn cheap fool now...
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 05:33 pm
Miles Davis' seven (actually eight) CD set "the complete live at the plugged nickel 1965" (columbia) is worth trying.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 05:41 pm
satt and the other PD already mentioned Miles Davis (Sketches of Spain is my pick).

Charlie Parker.

Post-Depression era? Billie Holiday is one of my favorite soloists; Harry James, Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller all had great bands.

Try on a little Fats Waller. "One nevers knows, does one?"

edgarbythe is the audiophile here; let me go get him.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 05:48 pm
Grand Duke - a lot of the recommendations here are quite different from the swing/jazz styles you were interested in. Maybe look for online samples of some of these artists before you invest anything in them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 05:56 pm
I like a lot of Jazz, but not in an organized way. I recognize pieces when I hear them, but can't name them; mostly, I am no help on a thread like this. Besides what has been recommended, I can, however recommend GENIUS PLUS SOUL = JAZZ, by Ray Charles. There is a surprising album which I have on vinyl featuring Bob Wills, which sounds very swing instead of country/western. I don't recall the label or album title. Anyone interested, I could go through my collection.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2004 06:06 pm
(Psst, beth, he mentioned george benson as well, so we're already looking at a wide-ranging pallete/palate...)
0 Replies

thelonious

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 09:56 am
here's a few you might like:
Miles Davis-Kind Of Blue
Charles Mingus-Mingus Ah Um
Thelonious Monk-Monks Dream
Bud Powell-The Complete Bud Powell
Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers-The Big Beat

there are lots of "Best Of" CDs out there, so i would recomend getting a few of those and find out which band strikes your fancy.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2004 01:30 pm
Many thanks to all! Circumstances dictated my absence from A2K for a while, so apologies if it looked like I'd bailed!
0 Replies