What's propping up the Euro?

saab

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 10:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The Swedish crown has gone up about 15% against the Euro.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 11:27 pm
@saab,
Indeed, the krona is now back to a level it has been in 2004.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2011 11:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I said only that those who hold the wealth increasingly dont want to hold currency, they want something that they can hold that will retain some value after the crash..

when they will change their gold etc into cash.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 10:23 am
@saab,
saab, What period of time did it take to increase 15%?
laughoutlood

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 12:21 am
@cicerone imposter,
Fundamentals drive currency movements long term.

Cost of carry, arbitrage and speculation muddy the water.

I fear you are "married to a view" on the USD instead of realising that "the trend is your friend".
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 01:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
I don´t know exactly, but I think about a month.
I used to divide with 10 to make it easy. 100 kronor would be 10 Euro.It used to be 9, something. Now I get 11 Euro for 100 kronor.
The Swedish krona is interacting (?) with dollars and the Danish with Euro so now it is much cheaper to go to Denmark than it used to be.
From 1875-1913 the Scandinavian countries had the same value - something like Euro now. It did not work out at all. If 3 so similar countries can´t make it how will 27 very different countries going to work out having the same money.
The three countries were Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Iceland belonged to Denmark at that time.
laughoutlood

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 02:47 am
@saab,
http://www.x-convert.com/images/charts/EUR_SEK_5year.png
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 10:43 am
@saab,
saab, I agree on the issue of 27 countries belonging to one currency, and expecting it to work. It can't; they all have different economies (manufacturing/agriculture), inflation rates, and potential for economic growth. A country like Germany and France cannot continue to support their common currency when those other countries are unable to pay back the loans. When those countries pay back the loans with interest (high), they are unable to invest in their own country's economy. There is no way it's going to work.

I have always believed that England made the right move by staying with their own currency, but they are hurting because their major trading partners economies are hurting.
saab

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2011 12:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
D0n´t forget Finland is paying too - and the PIIGS can probably never pay back their loans. In Greece and Portugal the people are striking and demonstrating against that there have to be cuts and savings.
GB has signed a contract to help the poor EU countries, which is just absurd taking in consideration their own problems.
Now EU has suggested special EU taxes - crazy.
One hears so often about the poor people in USA, as a matter of fact there are more poor people in EU than in USA living under the poverty line. What do so many EU people do? Complain about USA, but don´t waste one thought about how it is here.
0 Replies