What are your hobbies?--need some ideas

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 01:33 pm
I recently had to give up my main pasttime, and now I'm having trouble finding things I enjoy doing. What do you do with your spare time?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,275 • Replies: 23
No top replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 02:07 pm
Standing on the corner watching all the girls go bye.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 02:18 pm
My main hobby is A2K. Welcome, Alchemist! Very Happy
0 Replies

vroonika

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 02:27 pm
Reading is good
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 02:32 pm
Staring into the middle distance works for me. Also reading, writing letters, taking long walks...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 02:35 pm
BB gun rifle. Geese down the local pond.

You do the math.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 02:49 pm
What are your hobbies
Well, there's always driving A2K people crazy with my computer problems . . .

Seriously, without knowing what your previous activity was, it's hard to recommend something - it might be the very thing you had to give up. However, I'll put in my two cents worth by suggesting painting. You can do your own thing with it, not be responsible to anybody for the results, and enjoy the feeling of having created something no one else has ever done.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 02:54 pm
hobbies:
family
church
photography
community service
internet - webhosting and site-design
tv and movies
sports
going to start some woodworking - carving soon
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 03:15 pm
Ideas for new hobbies...
painting, fishing, travelling, photography/photo shop, reading, writing, computers, theatre, cooking, camping, golfing, baking, quilting, gardening, learn to play an instrument, learn a new lanquage, volunteer, hiking, fundraising and sex.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 04:24 pm
Don't do hobbies, work hard at something you like.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 05:38 pm
so true asherman. I do science and art.

Science is a discipline practised with passion
Art is a passion practiced with discipline
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 05:56 pm
As has been said, it is hard to know what to suggest knowing so little about you. But here is my list - gardening, community service (that's a good one and opens doors for lots of interests), email pals, spinning, knitting, crosstitch, reading, crosswords, making useful stuff out of junk.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 05:57 pm
I do a lot of wood carving. One method a beginner might try is chip carving. It's really quite simple and you should be able to learn the process in several days. After about a month you should be quite proficient. It's a nice hobby because it requires very little as far as equipment -- a simple chip carving knife, a piece of basswood, pencil, carbon paper, tracing paper -- you're good to go.

Here's an example of chip carving. It may look complicated, but once you understand the concept it really is quite simple....

http://www.chipcarving.com/pomn4.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 06:34 pm
Gus-Im stunned, I tried chip carving and I started with barbeque, am I doing something wrong?

Eve
Like your line. I remember Julia Child saying
"If you peel your asparagus, you really have no life"
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 06:43 pm
Quote:
Gus-Im stunned, I tried chip carving and I started with barbeque, am I doing something wrong
?

Am I missing something here, Farmerman?
0 Replies

Alchemist-

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:12 pm
Smile
Thank you all. I was an artist previously, but I realised that I didn't enjoy sitting down and creating art. I wish I did. But I love my work so much, when I come home I feel like I have nothing to do.

If it isn't productive, I have a hard time getting into it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:29 pm
I turn what might be called a hobby into a way of life - get very involved. I paint. I have gardened a lot, not doing it recently. I like photography. I am interested in a country I traveled to about fifteen years ago - italy - and from that interest have taken italian language courses (7), zeroed in my interest to piazzas, which I've done a lot of research on, thinking about, and photographing of; and read about 300 books on miscellaneous subjects about italy; plus I've been back there a few times. Have extended my interest, which was already somewhat awakened, to more interest in a lot of other countries/regions and their history.

I can see making art out of discards as useful and amusing.
I like building things, though I am much better at design than craftsmanlike finishing, and have pooped out for a while after rebuilding our (well, we were "our" then) garage as my studio, including exterior walls and putting up beams.

I can easily imagine loving making ceramics - I once had a client who made porcelain pieces, beautiful.

I'm thinking of writing poetry and finally bought a book to review the basics about meter, free verse, etc.

Plus, I am addicted to a2k, really like the people/discussions and camaraderie here.

I read like mad. I will die if I can't read.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 09:34 pm
Alchemist

Have you give any thought to voluntary work that involves other people? Art is often a very solitary activity.
One of the things I really enjoy is working in the garden: You use lots of energy, have fun planting little seedlings & watching them grow, get fabulously dirty & sweaty, get a tan, find yourself meditating a lot, lose track of time, become very familiar with the bird life in your neighbourhood, plant things you can eat ... etc, etc! Endless pleasure. Very Happy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 10:37 pm
gus-excellent work. I tried cHIP carving , but I used Barbeque CHIPS. my fault, i need to work on my setup lines.
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 11:37 pm
Hobbies: Physical fitness, karate classes, college classes (one a semester will give you enough to do for a week each week), reading, writing, motorcycle fabrication or just working on them, same with cars, furniture making or reupholstering them/ refinishing them, hiking, camping, biking...

Social things might include: joining an organization, watching local sports, getting into some sports for your age (My friend plays 30 and up basketball), Bowling, attending local events advertised in your local paper (some are cheesy, some might be cool)...

When most people think hobbies though, we think of creative things.

But, there is collecting. Like, grab a metal detector and look for civil war items. You just might find some spare change. Find niche items and auction them off on ebay. One guy I know makes good money from vinyl albums he finds at flea markets.

There are so many ideas, it really only takes thinking about what might be fun to do.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What are your hobbies?--need some ideas
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 08:09:55