How did Disney get away with making DC and Marvel Comics references in Darkwing Duck & not get sued?

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 04:39 pm
I used to watch Darkwing Duck when I was younger. There is no rule that says you can't make homages to things- Darkwing Duck was a parody of the superhero genre.

In one episode, he is fighting his evil doppelganger Negaduck and Negaduck blasts him with an acceleration ray, granting Darkwing superspeed. All the scientists in that episode were named after DC Comics' Flash scientists.

In another episode Darkwing travels to Kung Pow City to meet his old Quack Fu instructor. Quack Fu was the form of martial arts Marvel's Howard the Duck practiced.

In another episode which featured Darkwing's countepart from the future, Darwkwarrior Duck, there's a street named after Frank Miller, the man who created a futuristic version of Batman for DC Comics at one point.

These are BLATANT references to DC Comics and Marvel Comics properties. How did Disney get away with doing this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,603 • Replies: 10
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 06:10 pm
Disney is acquiring Marvel.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 06:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
This show came out in the early 90s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkwing_Duck

Disney buying Marvel had nothing to do with it.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 06:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
Your brother was a comic artist. I assume you know about copyright infringement?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 06:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
How can you get away with making blatant references to things and not get sued? They made references to DC Comics and Marvel Comics things.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 03:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
References are allowed, not plagiarism. References fall under Fair Use.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 03:38 pm
@JGoldman10,
Comics publishers have loosened up in that regard. I think they figure the exposure is good for all concerned.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 03:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
I know-I've seen DC make references to Marvel things and vice versa.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 11:36 am
Now that I think about it, DARKWING DUCK was an EVIL CARTOON.

They could have done WITHOUT THE WITCHCRAFT ELEMENT.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 11:55 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Now that I think about it, DARKWING DUCK was an EVIL CARTOON.

They could have done WITHOUT THE WITCHCRAFT ELEMENT.

Lets see how many copies we can burn.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 03:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
I wouldn't waste my money. They could have done Captain Planet and a handful of other old '80s and '90s cartoons WITHOUT using witchcraft.
0 Replies