OK music for the older man & woman

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 11:28 am
Once upon a time, the older amongst us grew up surrounded by rock & roll legends. Is it still legit to openly listen to the R & R music from the 60s & 70s or should we hide our heads in shame.

What about todays R & R music. I like bands such as Nirvana & a new Brit band, Darkness, along with other bands. Am I trespassing ? Or is it OK to listen to them ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,852 • Replies: 21
No top replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 11:40 am
Listen to whatever makes you happy. If it don't make you happy, don't listen... life is too short.

Today, I have been listening to Led Zepplin and Django Reinhardt. Think I'll listen to Oliver Mtukudzi next. (I'm at work and my co-workers drive me nuts, as does the only radio station that comes in... I try to return the favor.)

In matters of taste there can be no argument.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 11:43 am
You have my dispensation, old son, in some few cases . . . go forth and sin no more . . .

I have a collection of cassette tapes of my favorite old music, from Patsy Cline and Buddy Holly to Joe Jackson and INXS . . . and i like Nirvana, System of a Down and some of the newer ones . . . largely, though, i look at contemporary groups who are covering old hits, like Marilyn Manson doing Tainted Love or Pearl Jam doing Last Kiss (Oh my god ! ! ! ) and think how paltry and pathetic the current R & R scene has become . . .
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 11:51 am
hehehe I spent a good portion of the weekend finding CDs to replace my 8 track tapes with. Same music. Just updating to the current format.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 12:41 pm
I may be getting a new car next year, and I really want to find one that has a cassette player as well as a CD player. The reason being that I have an extensive collection of cassettes, and the car is about the only place I listen to 'em anymore. Great stuff: The Move ("Shazam"), Led Zepplin, "The Who Sell Out", Ernest Tubbs, Richard and Linda Thompson, Dave Edmunds ("Subtle as a Flying Mallet"), Thunderclap Newman.

It might be possible to find CDs for all of this, but I know I'd never replace it all!
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 01:12 pm
D'art. -------- I have a similar prob. Lots of stuff on tape but no CD in the car. So can't play new CD stuff in the car. I checked at a car accesories place & they'll fit a new CD player for you.
That's in the UK. Cheapest I could find was GB£49.99 or about US$80.00 at current exchange rates
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 01:33 pm
oldandknew: The car I drive now has a cassette player, so that's not the problem. I do plan to buy a new one next year, which, all things being equal, will have a CD player as standard eqpt. So I want one that has both. I suppose I could install that sort of system once I have the car--which is what you're suggesting, yes?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 01:43 pm
D'art, -------- just one idea I was considering. I plan to change my car next sppring. CD & tape player would be good. Most new or recent build cars in the UK all have CD players & with a computerised heart. I guess it's the same in the States. It's a case of, you buy what's viable I guess.
The only thing in a modern car that's not computer controlled is the driver
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 01:43 pm
we had the problem. my husband is an oldie but a goodie. he has loads of tapes and i have loads of CDs. we just bought a portable cd player and adapter. you slip the cassette tape-like adapter into the player and pop your cd's into the cd player. it works for us. he's says he's not putting any money into changing the car's 'audio system' lol because it plays his stuff just fine. (cd adapter was a much coveted christmas gift :-) )
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 01:46 pm
onyxelle........... it seems all that florida fruit juice not only sharpens the taste buds but the brain cells as well.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 03:20 pm
thanky much
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 30 Dec, 2003 04:06 pm
I say, listen to whatever rocks your boat. We all apprieciate different things, I don't think age or genre is as important as music companies think they are. Who says a person must be hardwired country or classical or age appropriate.

I'm listening to my favourite radio station now. I love this station precicely because there are few distinctions made based on anything but creativity and talent. they just released their top 100 for 2003 -
Top 25 ckua
Blackie and the Rodeo Kings - Bark, Sidestepper - 3am: In Beats We Trust, various artists - Verve Remixed 2, Thievery Corporation - The Richest Man in Babylon, Bruce Cockburn - You've Never Seen Everything, Jen Kraatz - Ashes, The Swiftys - The Swifty's, Kinnie Starr - Sun Again, Marcia Ball - So Many Rivers, various artists - Shout, Sister Shout!, Beady Belle - Cewbeagappic, Poncho Sanchez - Out of Sight!, Sarah Jane Morris - Love & Pain, Thea Gilmore - Avalanche, Jack Johnson - On and On, Burning Spear - Free Man, Chip Taylor and Carrie Rodriguez - The Trouble With Humans, Be Good Tanyas - Chinatown, Ben Sures - Goodbye Pretty Girl, Emmylou Harris - Stumble Into Grace, Lyle Lovett - My Baby Don't Tolerate, Michael Franti & Spearhead - Everyone Deserves Music, Macy Gray - The Trouble With Being Myself, Ben Harper - Diamonds on the Inside, Eric Bibb - Natural Light
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 01:10 am
As long as you don't think I'm trespassing when I listen to my 70s music, which is the era I grew up in as a kid having no real idea of music, I don't think you're trespassing when you listen to the new stuff. It is still your music because you're still here to listen to it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 06:21 am
Would you believe that I am hooked on disco? Love the stuff!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 06:50 am
Disco still sux.... skinny ties forever.

Ceili... I saw the Thievery Corporation - The Richest Man in Babylon in your list. You heard? Amazon thinks I'd be interested based on purchasing a CD they had a small role in...

So, they any good?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:35 am
Yes, I really like it.

I've heard everything on this list and I like all of it. Seal you have interesting tastes, check out the rest of the list and the radio link. You may be surprised where your ears will bring you.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:40 am
I listen to every kind of rock from every era...I have my favorites..I'm a metal head....but I listen to and enjoy everything from the fifties to today and why worry about what's appropriate? Appropriate is not a word to be used in conjunction with Rock N Roll.

I also confess that my very favorite ever music is prog rock from the Golden age of it.....Yes rules!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:42 am
Dirty little secrets?

I love female vocalists, and so always enjoyed ABBA . . . anyway, Aneliese has a great bottom . . .
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:47 am
....which forgives anything else......
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:50 am
You got that right, Bear . . .
0 Replies