How to be accepted into a CNA training class at a nursing home?

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:40 am
I want to be a CNA and a local nursing home offers training classes. A friend applied and didn't get accepted for classes. What are the instructors or CNA themselves looking for when one is applying to be accepted into a CNA training program at a local nursing home?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,623 • Replies: 9
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 07:47 am
@cnanursing,
clean background
above 18
a good work history is a big plus, but not always necessary
Calm personality
a schedule that allows for typical nursing shifts which is usually 4 days on 2 days off ( rotating every 2 days you are off during the week) and the common shift hours of 6-2, 2-10 , 10-6 or variations of that. You generally will NOT find a mon-fri position at a nursing home.
Miller

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:20 am
@cnanursing,
cnanursing wrote:

I want to be a CNA and a local nursing home offers training classes. A friend applied and didn't get accepted for classes. What are the instructors or CNA themselves looking for when one is applying to be accepted into a CNA training program at a local nursing home?

Best to receive your training at a hospital. That way you'll probably get a good job at the hospital.

There is an acute shortage of caring medical professionals. As a result, your chances of becoming a CNA is good. I don't know why there are "classes" for this type of employment, since an average worker ( normal IQ) can be trained in one week or less to be a competent nurses assistant.

I'd stay away from nursing homes if I were you.

Good luck.
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2011 08:41 am
@Miller,
I agree.
It does not require all the knowledge they hand out for a cna to function.
You need to know body mechanics so you dont hurt yourself lifting , bathing and dressing in a nursing home. Basic emergency assistance, a little common sense when it comes to privacy and simple knowledge of charting and a general understanding of common diseases and ailments . Thats really all you need. When a resident comes in, you get the run down of what they need and if you NEED to know, you will be told of diseases etc..

but they teach you about meds, diseases, treatments, procedures, billing policies, med interactions... etc. Way too much.

I think the CNA classes are given to cover any and all possible positions, but really should be tailored to WHERE you are applying for.
Miller

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2011 11:47 am
@shewolfnm,
The reason I suggested a training program in a hospital, as opposed to a nursing home, is because many hospitals still offer a diploma program by which the applicant can gain an RN without putting in 4 years at a college.

If you work at a good hospital, they'd be inclined to help their employees to move up professionally. This is also a good way to keep devoted employees.
0 Replies

Alaura

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 04:15 am
@shewolfnm,
Are you thinking to become a certified nursing assistant (CNA) and want to know what training that you need to do ? So first you should have a look at the benefits of being a CNA which will give you a better understanding of what type of training best suits you. The role of a cna is to take care for patients on a day to day basis and work with a qualified nurse. CNA’s play important role in the health care system. As online CNA training and certification is popular now everyone who didn't have time to study during days because of their other jobs now doing CNA certification online. Entrance into the medical field is an easy process when you become a Certified Nursing Assistant. It is indeed a wonderful profession when your priority is a secured job and a lot of career alternatives. And it even gives you a chance to advance your career in many different ways.
If you are a person who has the passion to help others, then becoming a Certified Nursing Assistant is the best job for you. It is a very challenging and rewarding career all at the same time. If you are now thinking of becoming a CNA yourself, you have to take CNA classes first.
Miller

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 05:22 am
@Alaura,
Quote:
Entrance into the medical field is an easy process when you become a Certified Nursing Assistant.

Easy? It is also very easy for a nurses aid to be sued. So be sure you carry enough medical malpractice insurance to avoid big time lawsuit troubles.
Alaura

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2011 11:16 pm
@Miller,
Agree with you!
Alaura

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2011 10:43 pm
@Alaura,
As we have one of experienced nurse with us to guide us while doing CNA, so i don't think that there is any risk.
onlinecna

Reply Tue 3 May, 2011 02:57 am
@Alaura,
Hello there.I found Good Online CNA Classes . I’d like to thank you for this informative read, I really value you sharing with us this page. Keep up excellent.
0 Replies